a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First sail in 4 years

Started by mikec, October 03, 2009, 04:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec

After a long drought of no sailing due to illness and family problems we, (my wife and I) were able to go sailing on a Com-Pac 16.  In a word, GLORIOUS!!! My wifes first comment there you go with that @#!%% eating grin again, I had forgot you had it...

I live in landlocked Ocala, FL  and after much searching found Fairview marina close to Orlando, Fl which is on a 400 acre lake which rented sailboats. They had 16s and a 23 but I thought the 23 would have been a bit overkill for that lake.  They indicated they used the 23 for sailing classes.

Anyway, the winds were light with some strong gusts which heeled the 16 and which was a lot of fun. It felt great to feel the tiller in my hand and how the boat responded to my steering.

It confirmed to me that I have to get a boat. So I am in the market for a Com-Pac 16.  By the way, a Compac 16 had been my first boat back in 1979. It felt good to be home again.

Steve Ullrich

Welcome back.  You should be able to find one down that way easily enough.  Seems like I remember seeing quite a few posted in Florida while I was looking for one last Winter & Spring.

Quote from: mikec on October 03, 2009, 04:00:04 PM

After a long drought of no sailing due to illness and family problems we, (my wife and I) were able to go sailing on a Com-Pac 16.  In a word, GLORIOUS!!! My wife's first comment there you go with that @#!%% eating grin again, I had forgot you had it...

I live in landlocked Ocala, FL  and after much searching found Fairview marina close to Orlando, Fl which is on a 400 acre lake which rented sailboats. They had 16s and a 23 but I thought the 23 would have been a bit overkill for that lake.  They indicated they used the 23 for sailing classes.

Anyway, the winds were light with some strong gusts which heeled the 16 and which was a lot of fun. It felt great to feel the tiller in my hand and how the boat responded to my steering.

It confirmed to me that I have to get a boat. So I am in the market for a Com-Pac 16.  By the way, a Compac 16 had been my first boat back in 1979. It felt good to be home again.

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

nies

MIKE, A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO I HAD A CHANCE TO GO SAILING ON LAKE MICHIGAN ON A FORTY FOOTER, TOOK THE HELM AND WAS NEVER SO DISAPPOINTED IN MY LIFE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT BIGGER HAD TO BE BETTER, NOT SO FOR ME. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FORTY AND MY CP 16 WAS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DRIVING A SEMI-TRAILER TRUCK AND A SPORTS CAR. THE BIGGER THE BOAT THE LESS THE FEELING OF THE HELM. ITS ALMOST LIKE NOT BEING CONNECTED TO THE BOAT.I WENT HOME AND TOLD MY WIFE "I HAVE JUST SAVED US A MILLION DOLLARS, SO CAN I BUY A GENOA?". I WILL NOT SHARE HER ANSWER, BUT I GOT IT ANYWAY. ENJOY YOUR 16 ITS ALL THE BOAT MOST PEOPLE WELL EVER NEED..........NIES

Steve Ullrich

Huh... Sounds like we might have the same model of wife...

Quote from: nies on October 03, 2009, 05:19:40 PM
MIKE, A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO I HAD A CHANCE TO GO SAILING ON LAKE MICHIGAN ON A FORTY FOOTER, TOOK THE HELM AND WAS NEVER SO DISAPPOINTED IN MY LIFE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT BIGGER HAD TO BE BETTER, NOT SO FOR ME. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FORTY AND MY CP 16 WAS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DRIVING A SEMI-TRAILER TRUCK AND A SPORTS CAR. THE BIGGER THE BOAT THE LESS THE FEELING OF THE HELM. ITS ALMOST LIKE NOT BEING CONNECTED TO THE BOAT.I WENT HOME AND TOLD MY WIFE "I HAVE JUST SAVED US A MILLION DOLLARS, SO CAN I BUY A GENOA?". I WILL NOT SHARE HER ANSWER, BUT I GOT IT ANYWAY. ENJOY YOUR 16 ITS ALL YHE BOAT MOST PEOPLE WELL EVER NEED..........NIES
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

kchunk

Hi Mike! I live over in Daytona and I too went to Fairview marina to try a ComPac. Of course, that was back two years ago in November, but it certainly convinced me that I needed a Com-Pac. I finally found my 23 the February after. Drove 400 miles to South Carolina to get her. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

--Greg

HideAway

A close friend of mine had a Morgan 32.  A great boat by any definition but every time I took the helm I would turn that big wheel the wrong way.  My wind awareness does not function that high off the water and unless its blowing stink the boat didn't heel.   Boca Ciega Bay is too small for the boat so you had to go into the Gulf Of Mexico to do any real sailing.   It takes an hour down the ICW and out Pass A Grille Pass each way.   He recently sold the boat - too much work - couldn't find a crew --- We enjoyed sailing HideAway more.

Eight years ago we moved HideAway to a 30 foot slip in preparation to buy a Hunter 30.   Never did buy the Hunter - Our little Compac 23 is all I'll ever need and at times it feels too large! 

Fair winds my friend-- Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

B.Hart

Welcome Mike, I always sail lake Harris in leesburg, Hope  to see you there!   BILL

mikec

Thanks all for the kind words. David do you have any more pictures of your 16 and the mods you did with her? I sure would love to see them.

Bill if you ever need some ballast give me a call 352-854-8943

B.Hart

Hi Mike I'll keep your number on file,  IMO this is the best time of year for sailing. I will be in Ocala Oct 17 for JEEPTOBERFEST. Being unemployed since November (yes it will soon be 1 year???) my adventures have been minimal  Good luck Com-Pac hunting.   BILL

mikec

Hi Bill,

That's great. It would be nice to meet and talk boats. What's a Jeepoctoberfest? Where is it being held?

Mike

multimedia_smith

If you're still looking for a Pristine 16... No, I'm not selling my boat... but a couple of years ago, I helped a friend of mine (who sails with me) to find a matching boat... We found an '89 CP 16 III in beautiful condition... Our criteria was that it would have a bow sprit and genoa tracks on the coaming, His has a roller jib also.
The boat was in Colorado and had only sailed in fresh water and only in their short season, so it is in pristine condition.
His name is Al Cahall (yes, that's his real name) and he can be reached at (504-289-8601).
He simply hasn't used it since he bought it. It has an outboard, a custom boat cover, and a rust free trailer.
Dale

mikec

I will try calling him again.  I was hoping to see some pictures. 

Mike

B.Hart

Sorry for the slow reply, jeeptoberfest is a car meet for JEEP vehicles. It is the largest gathering of JEEPS in the south east(normally about 800). It is held at the Ocala speedway.  I did not get to go this year, but I did get to do some sailing! (model sailboats on my pond) LOL    BILL