a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

JIB SHEET/CLEAT

Started by nies, September 29, 2009, 08:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nies

THE JIB SHEET WILL CATCH ON THE HAL. CLEAT ON THE MAST UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS (WINDY) WHEN TACKING, ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO CURE THE  PROBLEM WOULD BE HELPFUL. IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A CLEAT "BRA",THOUGHT I READ ON FORUM ABOUT ONE? SPENT A LOT OF TIME SEARCHING, THEN DECIDED TO JUST ASK...........NIES

kchunk

Hi again Phil. I suppose the easy answer would be to remove the cleat and run the lines aft. Easier said than done, I realize...but if you think about it, there are quite a few more benefits to running the lines aft other than not fouling your jib sheet. For instance, no more leaving the cockpit to hoist sails and you can reef the main from the cockpit too. Those benefits alone may make it worth your while, not to mention easier and safer, especially single handing.

--Greg

Steve Ullrich

Have you tried letting the jib backfill when tacking? I wait until the boom comes across and the main starts to fill before releasing the jib sheet.  That blows the jib through the foredeck triangle with a tendency for the jib to blow towards the bow a bit.  That helps me keep sheets from getting fouled on the hatch and mast wiring at the base of my mast.  Might work for you.

Steve

Quote from: nies on September 29, 2009, 08:28:06 AM
THE JIB SHEET WILL CATCH ON THE HAL. CLEAT ON THE MAST UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS (WINDY) WHEN TACKING, ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO CURE THE  PROBLEM WOULD BE HELPFUL. IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A CLEAT "BRA",THOUGHT I READ ON FORUM ABOUT ONE? SPENT A LOT OF TIME SEARCHING, THEN DECIDED TO JUST ASK...........NIES
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

nies

STEVE, THATS THE WAY I KEEP IT FROM HAPPENING, BUT WOULD BE NICE IF I DIDNT HAVE PAY THAT MUCH ATTENTION AT A TIME WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE IS HAPPENING......THANKS FOR THE HELP....THE GRATE WILL BE SCREWED AND GLUED TONIGHT,....THANKS AGAIN.......PHIL

B.Hart

Backfilling the jib also helps to bring the bow around. I have the same problem with the cleats, sounds like a good idea to remove them.   BILL

Steve Ullrich

I don't even have cleats on the mast but I still have the sheets catching crap... The plug for the mast lights, the hatch... Certainly less hassle letting the jib backfill.  Small price to pay I guess.

Quote from: B.Hart on October 07, 2009, 09:17:42 AM
Backfilling the jib also helps to bring the bow around. I have the same problem with the cleats, sounds like a good idea to remove them.   BILL
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

mrb

I would leave the cleats alone and follow others advice to back fill jib when coming about.  Works for me fwiw.

mrb