a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

compac rendezvous 2010

Started by kickingbug1, September 20, 2009, 10:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

hey com-pac sailors,   i would like some feedback regarding a com-pac (or any other sailboat) rendezvous in the midwest. we had one last year on carlyle lake in southern Illinois which totalled just four boats and seven sailors. it was on the weekend so power boat traffic was a concern at least on saturday ( the same everywhere i guess). the wind was non existant on friday, pretty good on saturday and as luck would have it perfect on sunday when half of our party had to leave. sorry you missed the best day Doug, Linda, Mike and Becky. anyway i would just like some info and ideas from anyone who might be interested. the location doesnt necessarily have to be on carlyle lake or even in Illinois (although the lake is plenty big and generally has good wind) the accomodations are good and there are good locations to swim and anchor (for those of you who might want to camp aboard. i would appreciate any ideas you have to offer       thanks
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

Now that school has started up again it is difficult to get very far away from home for very long... but during June through August I am open to a rendezvous just about anywhere. If you are building a list to contact at some point please keep me on it.  Southern Illinois would be a bit of a drive from Minneapolis but I'd sure consider it.

Quote from: kickingbug1 on September 20, 2009, 10:31:58 AM
    hey com-pac sailors,   i would like some feedback regarding a com-pac (or any other sailboat) rendezvous in the midwest. we had one last year on carlyle lake in southern Illinois which totalled just four boats and seven sailors. it was on the weekend so power boat traffic was a concern at least on saturday ( the same everywhere i guess). the wind was non existant on friday, pretty good on saturday and as luck would have it perfect on sunday when half of our party had to leave. sorry you missed the best day Doug, Linda, Mike and Becky. anyway i would just like some info and ideas from anyone who might be interested. the location doesnt necessarily have to be on carlyle lake or even in Illinois (although the lake is plenty big and generally has good wind) the accomodations are good and there are good locations to swim and anchor (for those of you who might want to camp aboard. i would appreciate any ideas you have to offer       thanks
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Salty19

Steve, Becky and I are planning to attend  this year.  The Carlyle Lake outing in 2008 was a lot of fun!!! 

Carlyle or Lake Monroe are about the only good sized lakes with central location in the midwest.  Seems to be a lot of talk about the Apostle Islands in WI as a nice place to go...and there's always the Lake Erie Islands or W. MI.  Although being a Buckeye I'm not allowed to cross the Michigan State line. (j/k)   

Have trailer, will travel.  Organize with details and they will come!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Steve Ullrich

Jane and I have put our 16 away for the winter.  It has snowed a half dozen times since that decision but this weekend looks like it will be beautiful so I'm feeling some regret associated with that decision.  It will be spring (April) before we have her back from the storage facility.  We'll have to plan something for next summer for sure.  Please keep us in mind...

Quote from: Salty16 on November 06, 2009, 02:51:11 PM
Steve, Becky and I are planning to attend  this year.  The Carlyle Lake outing in 2008 was a lot of fun!!! 

Carlyle or Lake Monroe are about the only good sized lakes with central location in the midwest.  Seems to be a lot of talk about the Apostle Islands in WI as a nice place to go...and there's always the Lake Erie Islands or W. MI.  Although being a Buckeye I'm not allowed to cross the Michigan State line. (j/k)   

Have trailer, will travel.  Organize with details and they will come!

kickingbug1

hey com-pac sailors, i know its a long time to summer 2010 but i would like to enlist any input from interested parties. in 2008 we had our first com=pac rendezvous on carlyle lake in south-central illinois. we had four boats and seven people and for a first time get together i think things went well. anyway carlyle lake is big and offers great sailing on most days. end of august or first week in september is best .during the week it is pretty much deserted and the ramps are easy to deal with. their are coves where sailors can stay aboard on the hook. a couple of nice motels nearby and some pretty good resteraunts. my wife and i are planning a bbq at our house for all who attend. beer, burgers brats , yard games and swimming in our 3 acre lake if you wish. we learned a lot in 2008 mostly what not to do,  the more sailors that we can get involved the better. we are open to any suggestions we get. wouldn't a regional convention and sail-in be something. if i learned one thing from this cite is that (if i might paraphrase the old honda commercial) "you meet the nicest people on a com-pac"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

I mapped it and it does look like a great lake.  It is roughly eleven hours from Minneapolis though.  That is some serious time on the road.  Not ruling it out though.  I'll watch the posts.

Steve

Quote from: kickingbug1 on November 09, 2009, 01:45:57 PM
    hey com-pac sailors, i know its a long time to summer 2010 but i would like to enlist any input from interested parties. in 2008 we had our first com=pac rendezvous on carlyle lake in south-central illinois. we had four boats and seven people and for a first time get together i think things went well. anyway carlyle lake is big and offers great sailing on most days. end of august or first week in september is best .during the week it is pretty much deserted and the ramps are easy to deal with. their are coves where sailors can stay aboard on the hook. a couple of nice motels nearby and some pretty good resteraunts. my wife and i are planning a bbq at our house for all who attend. beer, burgers brats , yard games and swimming in our 3 acre lake if you wish. we learned a lot in 2008 mostly what not to do,  the more sailors that we can get involved the better. we are open to any suggestions we get. wouldn't a regional convention and sail-in be something. if i learned one thing from this cite is that (if i might paraphrase the old honda commercial) "you meet the nicest people on a com-pac"

kickingbug1

steve, if you guys make the trip we will do our best to make it worth your while. learned some stuff at the first one which should help make next years much better, i might even make some markers so com-pacs can race---complete with awards and a ceremony----cant promise a parade

botelerr

We have done KY Lake with 3-6 trailer sailers, C22s and Hunter 26.. Once we have the dates nailed down I'll post, We do three to four nights, normaly one night in a cove and one in  a marine . family /solo, couples ..relaxed, I trailer from St Louis in about 4 hours. MPLS would bve a hike, but one year we had a couple from Idaho..
I can see a CP19 fleet taking shape already,,, we can whip those C22 guys,,,
Rob -CP19

Steve Ullrich

No parade necessary... maybe a couple of beers?  I'm keeping an eye on this thread. We might be able to make it happen!

Quote from: kickingbug1 on December 06, 2009, 03:20:14 PM
    steve, if you guys make the trip we will do our best to make it worth your while. learned some stuff at the first one which should help make next years much better, i might even make some markers so com-pacs can race---complete with awards and a ceremony----cant promise a parade