a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

boom height

Started by kickingbug1, September 06, 2009, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

what is the correct boom height when rigged. how many inches down from the sail slot should the boom be.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

That kind of depends on the leech of your main sail.  My original main is probably stretched a bit.  The cleat to tie down the boom is only three inches below the boom right now.  I have a new sail on order from National Sail Supply.  I'll try and remember to see how that differs and post it...  I should have the new sail this week.  The distance might not be the same with all sails though.  I think that what matters is getting the leech of the main tight.  On mine, I hoist the main to the top of the mast and tie off the halyard.  I then haul the boom down tight and cleat it off. 

Quote from: kickingbug1 on September 06, 2009, 12:00:15 PM
   what is the correct boom height when rigged. how many inches down from the sail slot should the boom be.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Craig Weis

I figure to raise the main as high as she'll go. Then down haul the boom and tie that off where ever. That sets the boom height IMHO.
skip.