News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gusty winds, waves, rigging errors - we must be sailing again.

Started by Greene, August 26, 2009, 05:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greene

The Admiral and I finally found time to re-introduce our 16 and ourselves to water under sail.  Teen children, work, and a new powerboat (sorry) have really crimped our sailing time this season.  We hadn't sailed in about "12 inches of weeds under our CP-16", so we were really excited to finally have an afternoon available to sail.  We arrived at the ramp and thought we did pretty good getting the boat rigged and in the water in about 30 minutes.  The trusty ol' 1952 Evinrude 3hp fired up and pushed us through some pretty good chop.  The forecast was for 12 mph winds so it looked perfect.  We killed the motor and tried to raise the main - oops caught in the shroud a couple of times.  Hmmm, doesn't seem to be going up all the way.  I guess that wrapping the topping lift and the main halyard could be the problem.  OK that is fixed, now we can sail.  Hmmmmm, the mainsheet seems a little short.  OOOPS, rigged the old shortened sheet  - now instead of the new full length one.  OK - we're sailing now!

Really weren't expecting the waves to spray us in the cockpit at 12 mph.  The whitecaps seem pretty strong for those winds too.  We checked later and the wind was 12 - 16 with stronger gusts..  The Admiral says this is fun.  We are sailing again!!!

I remember now how much I enjoy the sound of the water as you slice through it,  moving under the power of the wind, and enjoying the time spent with one you love doing something you both enjoy.  We're sailing again.

Mike and  Brenda 
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Steve Ullrich

Welcome back from the dark side Greene.  You had a great day for it.  My favorite winds are in the 10 to 15 mph range.  Strong enough that you can get her up to hull speed.  Not so strong that you can get yourself in trouble.  No need to reef anything. Life is good. 

Quote from: Greene on August 26, 2009, 05:55:19 PM
The Admiral and I finally found time to re-introduce our 16 and ourselves to water under sail.  Teen children, work, and a new powerboat (sorry) have really crimped our sailing time this season.  We hadn't sailed in about "12 inches of weeds under our CP-16", so we were really excited to finally have an afternoon available to sail.  We arrived at the ramp and thought we did pretty good getting the boat rigged and in the water in about 30 minutes.  The trusty ol' 1952 Evinrude 3hp fired up and pushed us through some pretty good chop.  The forecast was for 12 mph winds so it looked perfect.  We killed the motor and tried to raise the main - oops caught in the shroud a couple of times.  Hmmm, doesn't seem to be going up all the way.  I guess that wrapping the topping lift and the main halyard could be the problem.  OK that is fixed, now we can sail.  Hmmmmm, the mainsheet seems a little short.  OOOPS, rigged the old shortened sheet  - now instead of the new full length one.  OK - we're sailing now!

Really weren't expecting the waves to spray us in the cockpit at 12 mph.  The whitecaps seem pretty strong for those winds too.  We checked later and the wind was 12 - 16 with stronger gusts..  The Admiral says this is fun.  We are sailing again!!!

I remember now how much I enjoy the sound of the water as you slice through it,  moving under the power of the wind, and enjoying the time spent with one you love doing something you both enjoy.  We're sailing again.

Mike and  Brenda 
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet