a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pics of my CP-16 The Hobbit

Started by robb_black, August 14, 2009, 08:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robb_black

I have enjoyed checking out all the pics of everyone else's CP-16s.  The pics have really inspired me to work on The Hobbit and get her fixed up and accessorized.

Here are a few pics I've taken the past two years of the boat as I have worked on it and sailed it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cp16.thehobbit/TheHobbit02?feat=directlink

I know people have asked about the mast crutch issue.  You will see how the previous owner of this boat (my dad) managed this particular issue.

Steve Ullrich

Nice pics Robb, looks like you found one in excellent condition.  The hull looks great, so do the sails.  Interesting mast crutch.

Quote from: Robb on August 14, 2009, 08:36:04 PM
I have enjoyed checking out all the pics of everyone else's CP-16s.  The pics have really inspired me to work on The Hobbit and get her fixed up and accessorized.

Here are a few pics I've taken the past two years of the boat as I have worked on it and sailed it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cp16.thehobbit/TheHobbit02?feat=directlink

I know people have asked about the mast crutch issue.  You will see how the previous owner of this boat (my dad) managed this particular issue.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

robb_black

Steve,

It wasn't so much of a find.  The boat was passed down to me from my father who took pretty good care of the boat.  I only hope that I can keep her looking as good (or better!) for the next 20 years.

Steve Ullrich

If you are keeping her in a garage that will make a huge difference.  The sun takes it's toll on everything.  I currently have mine in the garage but I don't know what I'm going to do come winter.  I really don't want to leave my truck out in the snow all winter but I might have to.  Winter in Minnesota sucks!  I suppose ice and snow would take their toll as well so the sailboat has the edge for the warm dry space... I think these boats are nearly indestructible if garaged and cared for.  We should be able to get twenty more years out of them easily enough.

Quote from: Robb on August 17, 2009, 09:06:13 AM
Steve,

It wasn't so much of a find.  The boat was passed down to me from my father who took pretty good care of the boat.  I only hope that I can keep her looking as good (or better!) for the next 20 years.

robb_black

I wish I could keep her in a garage.  I kept her outside all winter and it was bad.  The best I'll be able to do is keep her under a tarp this winter at my house.  My marina doesn't allow tarps on boats.

Steve Ullrich

The previous owner of my boat kept her outside in the winter but they had her shrink wrapped. She had shrink wrap on her the first time I went to see her.  They had vent screens on it, very nicely done. Will your marina allow shrink wrap?

Quote from: Robb on August 17, 2009, 11:47:55 AM
I wish I could keep her in a garage.  I kept her outside all winter and it was bad.  The best I'll be able to do is keep her under a tarp this winter at my house.  My marina doesn't allow tarps on boats.

robb_black

I have been thinking about doing the shrinkwrapping this year.  Cost is the most prohibitive factor.  (of course)

multimedia_smith

I had to build a small boatshed for my trailered Ghenoo (square stern beamy canoe) so I could keep the 16 in the garage.  It was nice during Katrina and the storms since to simply go downstairs to the garage and "check the mooring lines"...  I did have to cut about a foot and a half off the tongue to allow room to walk around it in the garage.  It does have about a 7' extension though... the tongue weight is OK 'cause it rides nicely.  I noticed you have a tongue extension on yours also... good.
The thing about having it inside (good or bad) is that you can work/play with boat projects... "messing with boats quote here"
All the best...
Dale