a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

tiller tamer questions

Started by adschmid, July 31, 2009, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adschmid

Anyone have a tiller tamer rigged on their cp16? I was wondering if it will work with the stern cleats instead of installing clam/jam cleats. And, does anyone have experience with one installed on the underside of the tiller rather than on top?
Thanks!

TeamSlacker

Can't remember where I saw or read this, but I just take an old piece of rode, loop one end on one rear cleat, wrap 2-3 times around the tiller, then to the other rear cleet. (Leave it a little loose/slack) Normal sailing its un-noticed, when you want to 'lock' it, just grab the 2-3 wraps on the tiller and push forward so it tightens the rope. Works slick and didn't cost a thing.

Steve Ullrich

adschmid - Yes, actually...

The starboard end of the tiller tamer line is tied off with an archer's knot so the cleat isn't taken out of play. I will tie the starboard end off on the horn when I want to use it.  A caution: These things are good for a quick as a cat dash into the cabin to get your hat or sunglasses but don't tie them off and count on them to get you across the lake untended.   They are a big help when single handing your boat.  You can point her to the wind and hoist your main for instance.  I like to do that, cut the motor and put it away, and then adjust my point of sail before using it again to hoist the jib.  Be advised that even with a balanced helm shifting your weight around will change your course.  That can be fun though.  I used to tie off the tiller on my Hunter 23 and stand up on the coach roof by the mast on days with light to medium winds.  I could adjust my point of sail by shifting my weight port or starboard.  Lucky I never fell over doing that though... She could have sailed herself into the rocks.

Quote from: adschmid on July 31, 2009, 01:48:46 PM
Anyone have a tiller tamer rigged on their cp16? I was wondering if it will work with the stern cleats instead of installing clam/jam cleats. And, does anyone have experience with one installed on the underside of the tiller rather than on top?
Thanks!
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Steve Ullrich

I've done that too.  Works great but it will take the finish off your tiller pretty quickly...

Quote from: TeamSlacker on July 31, 2009, 02:24:04 PM
Can't remember where I saw or read this, but I just take an old piece of rode, loop one end on one rear cleat, wrap 2-3 times around the tiller, then to the other rear cleet. (Leave it a little loose/slack) Normal sailing its un-noticed, when you want to 'lock' it, just grab the 2-3 wraps on the tiller and push forward so it tightens the rope. Works slick and didn't cost a thing.

adschmid

Well...I got the tiller tamer, installed it. And, Im not impressed. There is way too much play in it to be effective for more than about 30 seconds. Perhaps in light wind it would work, but, I was out in 10-15mph with 2-3ft chop (normal on Lake Erie) and there was no way this could hold my tiller. I tried using it to hold the tiller to leeward while hove to. Nope...did not work. I ended up using the old cajun tamer technique, four wraps around the tiller and tied off to either side. While cumbersome, at times, it actually works. BTW, I put in 8.5hours on the tiller that day. My level of disappointment with the device increased exponentially as the day grew longer. By the end I was kicking myself for putting two holes in my tiller.

Thanks for all the advice. And the picture.

newt

adschmid- sheet to tiller works great on the compac. Just look up the treads....
(my tutorial is on Sailfar)

Bob23

Steve:
   Why in the world is your tamer installed directly over the pivot point? I don't doubt you but I can see no way this actually works at all. I thought the company advised about a 45 degree angle of line from the tamer to the cleat. Mine is forward on the tiller quite a bit and still, with the weather helm I have, will slip a bit
Bob23...jut my $.02

Steve Ullrich

Hi Bob,

I was out of town for the weekend...  The base on the tiller tamer was wider than the tiller and didn't sit flat at any other location as the top and bottom surfaces of of the tiller are rounded.  It does work where I have it in light to medium air but, honestly, it doesn't work too well unless you tighten the crap out of it.  As others have noted, and as I stated earlier, it only works for quick trips in and out of the cabin or to hoist a sail.  Shifting weight really over rides it easily.  You can't rely on it to hold a course for very long in any kind of a breeze, even with a well balanced helm.  Rolling in the waves, puffs, breaking through waves, shifting weight, etc. all seem to be too much for it.  Some of that may be it's current location. I was considering moving it forward before my next trip out anywhere but I don't want to put too many holes in the tiller. 

Steve

Quote from: Bob23 on August 05, 2009, 05:47:41 PM
Steve:
   Why in the world is your tamer installed directly over the pivot point? I don't doubt you but I can see no way this actually works at all. I thought the company advised about a 45 degree angle of line from the tamer to the cleat. Mine is forward on the tiller quite a bit and still, with the weather helm I have, will slip a bit
Bob23...jut my $.02

John J

I've used a tiller tamer for years but have just ordered a newer version which I saw recently in an ad.  I mounted my tiller tamer on the bottom of the tiller and it worked well until it broke recently as it is made of plastic.  I don't believe the one I saw on the boat photo will work very well as the mechanism is too far back on the tiller.  The angle of the line from the port cleat to the tamer and then to the starboard cleat should be about 90 degrees.  I'll look for the ad again and post the address to for the brass and steel version.

John J

John J

The name I was looking for is the TillerLock and you can see and order it from CanSail in Canada.  It's a bit pricey but should hold up better that the Davis Tiller Tamer.  Another one on the market uses a shock cord from cleat to cleat and a stainless tube which fits in the tiller extension socket.  I'll look for it.

John J.

Craig Weis

I placed an embedded socket under the tiller's end and a Forspar telescoping 'rod with ball' and a port and starboard ball receptacle within my cockpit combing. This locks the tiller and also open up one side of the settee behind the tiller for more people room. See the pictures. Been working fine for years and no strings hanging around on the 'unused side' or when not in use and the tiller cover still fits as nothing is in the way. skip.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=myphotos&id=807470

Look for pic  03.11.2009 date.