a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New slides and tlller - oil vs. varnish

Started by federalist, July 26, 2009, 08:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

federalist

I just received new slides for the drop boards and hatch (teak) plus a new tiller (ash) from Hutchins.  I was thinking of using West Marine Semi-Gloss WoodPro Plus! (UV protectant varnish) for the tiller, and Watco Teak Oil for the slides.  Comments and suggestions?

Steve Ullrich

Sounds like a good plan.  I used six coats of gloss spar varnish on my tiller when I refinished my tiller and cockpit grate.  You almost need sun glasses to look at it while you are on the water!

Quote from: federalist on July 26, 2009, 08:49:36 PM
I just received new slides for the drop boards and hatch (teak) plus a new tiller (ash) from Hutchins.  I was thinking of using West Marine Semi-Gloss WoodPro Plus! (UV protectant varnish) for the tiller, and Watco Teak Oil for the slides.  Comments and suggestions?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Craig Weis

Sand the tiller down all the way to bare wood, sand out and dents or what ever. Tac wipe and hang from the garage door track on wire from the the rudderhead mounting bolt hole and use a foam 87 cent brush for each of 6 to 8 coats of spar varnish.

Takes a full 24+ hours to dry between each coat. Do not dry in the sun, let it soak into the wood. I sanded with 1200 grit between the first five coats and the last two coat were no sand, but mineral spirits wipes with complete air dry after a wipe.
Boy sure looks good when it's done.
skip.