a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sleeping on a cp16

Started by kickingbug1, June 15, 2009, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

last week a friend of mine and i towed our cp16s to mark twain lake in missouri. we planned on staying three nights but storms put an end to that plan. we did spend one night aboard. john sleeps like a log i guess cause he didnt even hear it raining which it did most of the night. im 6'5" and once i slid myself into the bunk i was fine until i decided to move a bit.  although i would try sleeping aboard again i think if i were considering cabin accomodations important, i would be happier with a cp19. much as i love my 16  i dont relish sleeping on her in the near future. it might be ok if you sleep like a "mummy".
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

Becky calls it The Coffin.  She will never sleep there.  I may sometime, but like you don't look forward to the actual mummy pit.  What about a cockpit tent with a filler board and air matress?   I'm considering making a tent to save $$
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

John J

hey, guys and gals.  a cockpit tent is a good way to go.  use the cabin for storage unless the weather is real bad.  try half-inch plywood to fill the footwell and you have a 7x5' space.  tents are easy to make and work well to keep the rain or dew out of the cockpit.

don l

Have boom tent, but just don't understanding how to do the 1/2 inch plywood.  Do you place it over the whole cockpit, or...?

kchunk

I find a few (or more) nips of rum helps ... a lot.

Shawn

Saw this on another site for a Potter 15 but the same idea would work on a CP16...

http://www.tetra-sail.com./tetra-mods2009.htm#grate

Shawn

kchunk

Hmm...you might be able to buy that set up from the owner. He just gave away his boat a couple weeks ago, during a the Texas 200. Here's the story:

http://www.wwpotterowners.com/JohnTurpin3.html

romei

Quote from: kchunk on June 21, 2009, 09:38:48 PM
Hmm...you might be able to buy that set up from the owner. He just gave away his boat a couple weeks ago, during a the Texas 200. Here's the story:

http://www.wwpotterowners.com/JohnTurpin3.html

Wow.  That must have been one harrowing afternoon.  If you read this guys other stuff and visit the website that he created for that boat, you'll see that he loved that boat as much or more than we love ours, and he just gave it away right there on the spot.  It reminds me of fear and timidity that I felt once, the first time I got "baptized"  in heavy white water back in my early kayak days.  No doubt one of the worst feelings I've ever had.  Last thing in the world I wanted to do at that moment was get back in that boat.

Anyway, I wonder if John will migrate to an older CP16 now.  Self righting, no centerboard trunk to flood the cabin and an extra foot of sleeping room.
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

TeamSlacker

Quote from: kickingbug1 on June 15, 2009, 04:45:51 PM
   last week a friend of mine and i towed our cp16s to mark twain lake in missouri. we planned on staying three nights but storms put an end to that plan. we did spend one night aboard. john sleeps like a log i guess cause he didnt even hear it raining which it did most of the night. im 6'5" and once i slid myself into the bunk i was fine until i decided to move a bit.  although i would try sleeping aboard again i think if i were considering cabin accomodations important, i would be happier with a cp19. much as i love my 16  i dont relish sleeping on her in the near future. it might be ok if you sleep like a "mummy".

I've 'slept' in mine, maybe the better word is passed out. Few stiff drinks will nock you out and you wont know the difference :) I slept like a baby that night tho.

Smitty

Cabin is too small and it is way too hot down here.  I like the boom tent idea.  Will probably do something like that for the fall through Spring months, before it gets too hot.  I tend to think of the Cabin as simply a storage area.

Salty19

The filler board can be implemented pretty easily.

Cut exact fit plywood or starboard to fit the cockpit foot well.  Add removable screw-in metal pipe for legs (and easy storage) cut to a depth to allow the board to be flush with the cockpit seats. Or perhaps some sort of bracket that allows the feet to swing down for easy storage yet lock in the open position. Could be one big piece or two smaller pieces of filler board.  I think Gil Weiss or multimedia smith did this...can't remember.

Johnj has a nice setup, he uses wood (teak??) trim pieces screwed/bolted into the footwell.  The wood pieces are about 5/8" square and as long as each of the 4 sides of the footwell. They are positioned about 1" lower than the cockpit seats.  He has 2 cut-to-fit acrylic or some sort of plastic/lexan boards that can be dropped in, being held up by the wood strips surrounding the footwells. Of course plywood or any flat strong surface could be used too.   I presume there is a hole in one of them to grasp it for removal.   An advantage here is easier to setup and store and there is the full space available underneath if add'l storage is needed.  However holes in tbe boat are required, which may not appeal to some.   

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

don l

TeamSlacker,  Yes,  your is the best answer!  Karma to you from the cajun.

HideAway

Many years ago when we were looking for a cabin boat we saw a sweet 16 in the Dunedin FL Marina.  We fell in love with the boat but with a family of 5 used to the relative comfort of a Sea Pearl 21 we bought the Compac 23 next to the 16.   

Yes the cost was a lot more but we have never regretted our decision to go larger.  Tents sound like a good idea but they really don't work that well - at least on our Sea Pearl.  For instance our rainy season has just begun - Its a lot dryer to drop the hook and duck below than have to set up a tent.

I know there are many stories of folks successfully sailing smaller boats in bad weather but  size does matter when the weather gets rough. Our 23 has always got us home safe and usually dry.  See the post above concerning Tetra about what can happen.  That Texas 200 must be pretty rough - there was a similar incident last year.

There is a story in Good Old Boat this month about a large family cruising in a Nimble 20 towing a 12 foot dink - thier tow vehicle is larger than the boat!

All that being said I would not want anything larger than HideAway and certainly nothing smaller unless it was a beach boat.   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Rick Klages

I tried to sleep on mine last summer.  My seven year old has no trouble but I cant roll over which wakes me up.  Some trimming of the cabin trim will be needed if I will ever try again.  My Hunter 212 was a better bedroom!

KCinNC

My wife and I spent the night at the lake on our new(to us) '89 cp16 recently. Cockpit camping.
It was fantastic!
I laid the door across the cockpit (aft), piled life jackets and a few other items toward the front to support a blow up mattress.
5 years ago i purchased a army surplus mosquito net. Never used it until that night. It fit perfectly over the bimini top. We slept under the stars and woke up to a light sprinkle of rain. I threw a tarp over the boom and went back to sleep.
Our first night on the boat could not have been better.
She is begging me to take her out and do it again!
Life is good!