a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mainsail battens

Started by JF AIR, June 04, 2009, 05:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF AIR

My main sail is fitted with 2 different style of mainsail partial battens onmy Compac 23 1989
2 of them are like flat blades aprox 1 inch wide and the other 2 are narrower plastic blades of a width of aprox half inch
Are those factory std...Anybody s comments pls???
jf air

zimm

Mine are all about 1 inch wide.

Potcake boy

If it's the upper two that are narrower, then it may be that the responsible person was trying to achieve a more natural sail shape by allowing the two to bend more and lesson the crease at the forwad end of the battens which is usually more pronounced in the narrower sections of the sail. Or they scavenged a couple from a smaller sail and they happen also to be shorter.

My advise - get yourself a full battened main - preferably a loose footed design.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

LConrad

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll ask my batten question here.  I asked a dealer for a quote on a full battened mainsail. Two suppliers came back with a recommendation for full battens in the top two positions and then partial battens in the lower two positions on the mainsail. Does anyboy have experience or care to opine on this one?

Bob23

Ron:
   I'm asuming you are using a full battened main which is set loose footed. How do you like it? What performance advantages have you noticed, if any, that are really dicernable? I might be getting ready for a new suit for Koinonia and sure would appreciate your feedback. ]
Bob23- thankful it's not raining today------Yet!

Potcake boy

I had my new sails built by Rolly Tasker, and they did offer up the two full batten option.  I had my main built with 4 full length battens instead.  Having full battens in the upper positions only allows for carrying a bigger roach near the top - there really isn't much room left between the back stay anyway.  The primary reason I went with all full length battens ties in with the loose footed construction.  I use a track and car on the aft end of the boom as an outhaul, which provides more than enough adjustment to the cord depth.  The battens take up the shape nicely, kind of like a rigid sail with Dacron webs in between.  The top batten is too rigid and remains flat, but I plan to replace it with a tapered one. The thin end goes forward so the cord depth will stay forward.

Performance is enhanced in a number of ways:
1. Can achieve flatter shape for much improved windward sailing. Old sail was cut deep and no amount of tension on the luff and foot would get the bagginess out of the center.  Now the cord is consistant from top to bottom.
2. The adjustment is achieved with the outhall alone, just hoist sail with enough tension to eliminate luff wrinkles. No need to stretch the crap out of the luff - prolongs the life of the fabric.
3. No flogging when eased off for reefing, or whatever reason or when tacking, also is better behaved when jibing.
4.  The battens stacks nicely on the boom when furling.
5. Loose footed allows a reef without the traditional clew line - I hate to crush the sail in a bunch against the boom with that technique. I have a hook on the clew car that works the same as a tack reef hook , and folds out of the way when not in use. Though the hook can be used with full sail up I use a shackle for the clew just so it stays on when lowering the sail. When reefing the track is long enough to allow the car all the way forward to the reef cringle. Hook in the cringle then I use the outhall in the same manner as with a full sail. I roll the lower section of the sail and tie loosely. Oh yeah, because of the stout construction of the Rolly Tasker sail, I had a larger tack hook welded on the opposite side of the gooseneck to make it easier to get the larger cringle on.

To give the appropriate credit, these ideas sprang from the setup on my 1986 Danish built Dragonfly trimaran.  The mainsail performs just the same on either design, but of course the tri sailed closer to the wind and faster - much faster.

If you would like pics of my set up, just advise, as it does work pretty well as is.

Hope you find the breeze in your hair, and not in your wallet.
Or should I say I hope you still have hair and a wallet?
Like the ancients, our elders carry the wisdom of our society - that's why we go sailing.
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Craig Weis

Wow, all good stuff. So I guess full battons is full speed ahead for you?
But in reality it's still a non racing sailing boat that IF she was to sail from the USA to England a full batton sail might gain maybe a day or two.
When the race is on it becomes a game of inches. Otherwise it is still a delightful cruise as a 'brick', 'barge', 'positive displacement hull' can only be pushed through the water so fast...there are some sail boats that water skiers can be pulled behind...but I don't care to captain one of those as it becomes too much work.
But that was a fine report.
Thanx. skip.

Potcake boy

Well Skip,
To reiterate my sentiment, "speed isn't the major component of boat performance".  To me it's kind of comical that sailboaters are so obsessed with speed - we're talkin' 5-6 mph here - I can walk that fast. I think sailors should stop listening to the sales hype and pay attention to the important features of a boat design. As far as sails are concerned, their performance is central to boat handling. An analogy: which car is better to drive i.e.. safer, more comfortable, reliable, easy to handle etc. - the one with the smooth running engine or the one with the engine that has poor power and stalls or hesitates?

Getting correct trim and shape in all conditions is important to boat balance which relates directly to ease and safety of sailing. I don't really care if I am making along at 4knots or 5 as long as she is sailing nicely. Once again - if I wanted to race I'd get a different boat - one that I wouldn't be comfortable on for days at a time. The 19 can sail very nicely without too many limitations to performance for the accommodations she provides.

I guess there are some folks that don't change oil in their car, and sail with ragtag blown out sails - each to his own.

The best things in life are free : wind, sunshine, water - but you have to pay for the beer.
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Mundaysj

Ron,
I would like to see pics of your setup.  I think my sails are the original from 1983!  This year I had to get new mainsheet blocks, a new motor, and some major work done on the trailer, but next year I would like to get new sails.  (If I can afford them after my sons braces!)
Cheers,
Sherie

LConrad

My main objective is comfortable sailing. Her name is "Delightful." We prefer good power with the boat in an upright position and able to handle shifty lake winds with relative ease. We don't race.  Some of the ads make claims about better cruising performance. I have been working to learn sail trim which obviously helps a lot.  I am considering a replacement for the 10 year old OEM main. So far, the options include 4 partial battens, a 2 full + 2 partial, and 4 full with a loose foot.

Potcake boy

Sherie,
I spoke a bit too soon - my 19 is sitting on her trailer at the moment, but I expect she will be back in the water soon, and I will take detailed pics for you.

LCONRAD
I am a strong proponent of full batten loose footed design - see my explanation above.  I had my sails made by Rolley Tasker, and ordered them through Dirk at National Sails.  I am very happy all around.  As offered to Sherie, I will be happy to share detailed pics of my sails and rigging.
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Bob23

Ron:
   I'd also apprecitate photos. If it's not too much trouble, if you can't post 'em here, can you email them to me? The address is in my profile.
   Thanks so much,
Bob23.

Potcake boy

Pressure - pressure - pressure.  OK guys, maybe I'll step the mast in the driveway and rig the boom and mainsail to get some good pics.
I haven't previously tried putting pics in a post, so I will attempt it with these pics, or if anyone prefers they can provide their email.
Soon - soon - soon.

Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

LConrad

Just a little more on the loose foot.  After Com-Pac and my dealer suggesting against it, I priced sails at Strictly Sail in Chicago.  They all recommended a loose foot with two full and two partial battens.  Everybody was close to $900.  Go figure.