a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A tent cabin for the Picnic Cat?

Started by Joseph, May 28, 2009, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

I'm favouring a SunCat but also considering a Picnic Cat (beachable!). However a minimal cabin appears as a must even for beechcruising (re: "BeachCruising and Coastal Camping" by I. Little & M. Walsh. Wescott Cove Pub., Stamford CT, 1992).

I have seen in internet two answers to a minimal cabin for the Picnic (and also appreciate the contention from Hutchins Co for not adding weight above the waterline to an unballasted boat): one looked like an expanded dodger and the other was a reversed bimini installed in the forward end of the cockpit.

Has anyone come with any other arrangement offering privacy and shelter in the forward portion of the Picnic cockpit?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Craig Weis

Joseph, without stanchions and life lines a boom tent is pretty confining but may be possible with these 'blow-up' sun arch's I have been seeing in magazine ads. But where and how to anchor the darn thing to the hull in a aesthetic and pleasing manner.??? HUmmmmm. And then you need to store this 'tent' when not using it.

I'm pretty sure that you'll feel a world of difference between the two boats, and I would really go with a Sun Cat vs. a Picnic Cat for comfort and the Sun Cat will offer a pretty good cabin lay-out with potty options, and better storage of a few minimal things for a limited overnight.  The 'captain' who first bought my C-P 19 sold it without ever putting it in the water but did install a Harkin '00' furler, in favor of a Sun Cat after his wife passed on. He figured he would be sailing single handed. Sun Cats are very appealing in that sense.

I would not have a problem running the Sun Cat or a Picnic Cat up on a beach with out heavy waves or wind. Such as lake sailing. Drop the hook and walk ashore is a good way to go as well. Or swim ashore. We do this all the time in the Bay of Green Bay.

I love the openness of the Picnic Cat and for day sailing off the beach and sleeping on land in a tent. This boat would work well. 'Picnic'...

Picnic Cats are great for knocking about and with the little covered storage 'box' can hold a few items of food/water/towels/ or what have you. Other items are loose in a cooler exposed to the elements like sun and strapped down. The other thought is the Picnic Cat is still too heavy to be moved around on the beach, if she becomes beached she is stuck anyway and you'll be without an engine... or hauled down the road with out a trailer. And last...The SUN CAT has a cabin that won't blow off or blow down.
skip.

Joseph

Skip,

That is very sound and useful advice and it adds to my leaning towards the SC.

Thanks,

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365