a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1993 23/3 Restoration

Started by USMCR O-5, May 23, 2009, 10:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

I was recently given a 1993 23/3 that has been in the water here in Florida, in back of someone's house, for over 4 years.  The plan is to take the boat out of the water shortly, clean it, dry it out, and restore it.  There has been some rainwater intrusion into the cabin, along with one or two wasp nests-it needs a very good cleaning.  Having owned boat of various kinds for many years, I've had to deal with blisters before and I was wondering if this vintage of 23/3 suffers from that problem.  The boat has been neglected and just sitting there in the water.  I can't wait to see the coral reef that must be growing under the waterline.  I know I'll have to repair or replace the sails and some of the rigging, but the boat is complete.  There is a Tohatsu 8 hp on the stern that hasn't been started in 4 years.  This I'm hoping to rebuild and get running again.  What are the issues I should look for on this boat?  Thanks.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Craig Weis

Well Sir I think first she needs to be pulled out of the salt water and scraped clean, then where the 'hard points' are ie, plywood backing that the mast tabernacle, ladder, winch foundations, ect are look~see and poke around with an ice pick looking for rotted wood. Check the two screws holding the compression post to the plywood former, there ought to be a small inspection door fwd. of the compression post, and the chainplates need to be inspected. With the mast down check the wiring to the lamps by using a battery charger to see if they will light up.
As far as the bubble/blisters in the glass be mindful that all the glass is hand layup using impregnated matt with zero core and this construction style usually does not suffer from weakness.
Any rot in the hardpoints can be ground out, and cleaned up, remade, and epoxied back in.
skip.

Bob23

Congrats on your recent arrival. I think Skip nailed it pretty well. The Tohatsu is the same as a Nissan and my Nissan 8 has treated me well. Depending on your mechanical expertise, maybe it's good to bring it to a mechanic. We report- you decide.
   The standing rigging should be fine. And the sails-were they stored inside during those forgotten years? You might try contacting SailCare, a sail laundering and repairing company about refurbishing your old sails. My 1985 23/2 has original sails and although the main should now be replaced, it still works and after SailCare worked thier magic on it, it came back crispy and clean.                                                                         
   Keep up posted on your progress and welcome!
Bob23 and s/v Koinonia in NJ                           

USMCR O-5

Thanks for the responses.  Believe it or not, the sails have been on the boat for 4-5 years that I know of.  When I finally get them off, it will be interesting to see what condition they are in.  I'll probably send them to SailCare if they are salvageable.  If not, it will be a new set of sails!  I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the level of fit and finish; it appears to be a very well constructed boat.  I think this will help to remediate the neglect it has suffered through the years.  It does help that even though it's been in the water for a while, it is in a very protected area.  As far as the engine, I think the Tohatsu is a pretty good outboard, so unless I have any unpleasant surprises, I think I can bring it back to life.  The only thing that is still unresolved is a trailer.  I'd love to find a used one, but apparently they are really in demand and not many are available.  At some point, I will probably have to break down and buy a new one.  When I figure out how to post images, I'll post a few.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

ka8uet

Congratulations on your aquisition!  My 23/3 hasn't been in salt water, but has suffered from wasp nests, etc.  I think you will find that a good cleaning will reveal a like-new boat!  These boats are well-constructed, and even neglect doesn't seem to faze them much.  You will enjoy many happy years of sailing your boat.

USMCR O-5

Do the folks at Hutchins sell the wooden components for the cabin interior?  There is some water damage and some of the woodwork will need to be replaced.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Bob23

I'd give 'em a call. I've called there a few times and got either Rich or Gerry Hutchins on the phone. Very helpful and it's fun to run into them a the boat shows!
Bob23

Mundaysj

Hi Marine,
Congrats on your purchase.  ComPacs are great little cruisers!

Yes.. the Hutchins will sell you interior wood.  I was discussing the point with them recently as next year I plan to replace my interior side panels because of water damage.... The windows must have been left open in the past.

Cheers,
Sherie