News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How much wind does CP-23 sail to the wind?

Started by hitchhiker, May 19, 2009, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hitchhiker

I am an owner of SunCat and now interested in CP-23.  I wonder how much wind CP-23 can sail in.  I think my SunCat can sail in 20 knot wind max to the wind with reefed main sail.  I suppose CP-23 can sail in more wind. How much wind is her limit?

newt

Now you guys correct me if I am wrong (Bob are you listening?) But I do not feel the CP-23 gets hard to handle until the winds get above 30-35knts. Exp. if you have the 2nd reef in your main, and you can roller reef/or place a smaller jib. What does knock it around a bit are waves and swells. I would not want to claw it off a lee shore in 35 knt winds, although I think some of the sailors here have probably done just that. I kept the boat afloat in 60 knts, but only long enough to get it in the marina.

Bob23

Newt:
   I'm up early and listenin'. And yes, the key is the 2nd reef in the main. I'm certainly not the most experienced here but when my 23 is overcanvased, she becomes a bit hard to handle and we really don't make much upwind progress. I usually put my first reef in at about 15-20 knots. Seems early, huh, but I find it more comfortable and better performance-wise. Being a semi-rounded chine, she has little hull shape to resist heeling but rather relies on her 1300 lbs keel to keep her upright.
   And it is certainly true about the waves. While she carries a bit of weight, a good wave will briefly impede her progress.
Hitch:
  " How much wind is her limit?" is probably not a question that's easy to answer. Rather, how much wind can her skipper handle? Compare the 23's rig to other boats of the same size and you'll see these babies have a very stout standing rigging system. After the Hunters, Catalinas and O'Days have lost thier masts, ours will still be sticking straight up.
Bob23

edbuchanan

Hi All,

My 23 sails beautifully in 15 to 18 knot winds.  Above 18, I set one reef in the main, above 20 it is a good idea to set the Yankee, a heavy weather jib.  That combination works well up to about 28 knots.  I have never had to resort to the second reef.

Ernie (Molly, 23/II 1984)