a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cp16 jib downhaul

Started by adschmid, May 13, 2009, 12:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adschmid

Can anyone point me in the direction of a picture showing how to rig a downhaul for a hank on jib? Or...an explanation may be just as well. I have a pre-1985 cp16.
Thanks.

newt

The best description of it is in L&L's books- I think it was the Cost Conscious Cruiser. I will look it up tonight when I get home and get back to you. It is either that one or the Self Sufficient Cruiser. Funny how everything seems to blend after a while.

Greene

I have an '84 (no bowsprit) and added a cheapskate downhaul to it.  A piece of 3/16 to 1/4" line ties to the second from the top hank and is then threaded down through each hank until you get to the bow.  If there isn't a fairlead or small pulley already in  place you will have to add one.  The line goes through my small pulley and is run to the cockpit.  I added a camcleat to the top of the cabin just to secure the line.  It has worked pretty well so far.  In stronger winds you may have to point her to the wind to get the load off the sail first.  My wife was NOT fond of going up top to bring it down, so it was one of my first additions to our 16.

I'll see if I have any pic's when I get home.

Mike

'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Brian 1851

Hi adschmid,

I put in a search for jib downhaul and came up with this website (Transformation-Lee's Precision 165 page).  Step by step instructions with pictures.  I hope this helps.  I have been meaning to make this modification to my boat and I regret not doing it every time I go out.  Good luck on your modification.

newt

Sounds like you have already gotten a lot  of good advice. It is described in detail in the "Self sufficient Sailor" by the Pardeys on page 251. Basically a simple system, it just places a line from the end of the jib halyard down through a pulley on on the deck  and back to to the cockpit. When pulled upon, it forces the jib down onto the deck. I don't think a CP-16 would need much more, and you can leave the jib secured by the downhaul and sheets until it is calm and safe to go up on foredeck. (if you want to change sails for any reason)
Warning- the advice above is only based on what I have read- I have not gotten rid of my roller reefer to test this out (yet). :)

multimedia_smith

I don't know if you can view this or not... but here is a link to pics of my downhaul on a 16... you might have to paste it into one line in the menu bar.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/photos/album/712582202/pic/934509551/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/photos/album/712582202/pic/934509551/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Very handy for sailing into the slip and dousing quickly at the last minute.
Cheers
Dale

Rick Klages

Dale, I cant see your pictures.  I'm sure you have a "multimedia solution"! 

Thanks,

ick

adschmid

Thanks for all of the advice. It was just what I needed to feel better about what I was thinking would work. My initial attempt, worked pretty well, a few modifications next time out and Ill be satisfied. I just clipped a small block to the D-shackle at the base of the jib and ran a 1/4" line to the top of the jib. Ran the rest of the line to the cockpit and just left it loose. Simple, but, it works. Just like everyone suggested. Next time, Ill try running the line up through the hanks. I can see how that would make the "downhaul" smoother. And, maybe a jamcleat at the other end sometime in the future.
Thanks again!

multimedia_smith

Hi Rick,
The pics are on the "other" ComPac site at Yahoo.
I don't see where our photo gallery went since the rework/repair here.
Do you know anything about it?
Thanks
Dale

Rick Klages

No Dale,  I was unable to get permission for the Yahoo sight.  How about posting to photo bucket?  Your photo spreads are worth many thousands of words.