a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller Stay

Started by old-sailor, April 22, 2009, 04:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old-sailor

Has anyone used a R. F. Tessler Company Tiller Stay on a Compac-16. If so, I would be interested in information and any pictures.  Thanks!

yknot

I had never heard of this product before reading this post.  'Googling' (isn't it funny how this is now a verb) the term, I found this site:  http://www.mv.com/ipusers/whale/tillerstay/.  Is this the product that you were thinking of?  It has a photo of the product on a Compac 19 as well as some other boats.

I'd be interested in hearing from any of you that may have used this as well.

Steve Ullrich

I've use a tiller tamer on a couple of previous sailboats.  They worked fine as long as you didn't shift your weight.  I think the C-16 is probably light enough that shifting your weight will over ride any tiller locking system.  I think you would need a true autopilot to compensate for weight shift if you want to leave the tiller and crawl into the cabin for anything, or go forward...
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Rick Klages

I intentionally tie the tiller amidships and steer by shifting weight whenever conditions allow.

wildwill

I bought mine from a company in Canada, I will try to find the link. it is made of stainless steel and a brass roller. Basically a clamp for the tiller with a nice handle that i can let it fly and take control back. The plastic ones I have heard break when the going gets rough, which is when i need it the most, when I need to go forward to and I'm single sailing.

I'll try to find the company for you...it has saved me lots of trouble.

Will

wildwill

BTW: this is my next project tiller to jib piloting: http://www.solopublications.com/sailariq.htm

wildwill

don l

Rick-K,  postive Karma to you Captain.  Working and reading on this.  Thanks for all these comments!