a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

mast foot and rigging questions

Started by cpietsch, April 20, 2009, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpietsch

I have sailed a 23 for a few years on inland waters in the upper mid west but some of my lack of knowledge concerns me.
First, does anyone have a good method for mounting the mast foot.  When I purchased the boat it was not attached.
Second, can anyone give me good advise for standing rigging inspection and tensions?  I understand the whole symmetrical thing but would like to now for sure that I am good in a stiff wind.

Bob23

To the best of my knowledge, the mast foot is not supposed to be removed. Mine seems to be attached with rivets of some sort. It's not really removable. There really is no side force at the base of the mast; all the force is downward.
   Run your glove-covered hand along the stays and shrouds to see if it is smooth or barbed in the least. Obviously, if the ss wire is coming apart, it should be replaced. Also, check the turnbuckles for small stress cracks. If you are a little suspicious about the condition of the standing rigging, replace it- it is holding up the mast, after all.
   The mast on the 23's should have a slight forward rake, about 2-3 degrees if I remember correctly. You can contact the Brothers Hutchins via email. Check out the Compac Yacht website for the contact information. They will get back to you...these guys are great!
Bob23 in NJ
(ps: What year is your yacht?)

cpietsch

Thanks Bob for your response.
It makes sense that the foot is not suppose to be removed, I have fastened it down with bolts but I really don't like it, rivets seem to be the better way.
I have inspected the stays and shrouds and have discovered no barbs.  Next on my list is the turnbuckles.  (two weeks until the mooring is open!!!)
She was built in 1981, I purchased her from an old sailor who was getting rid of his "fleet" because of health conditions.
Thanks,
Clayton

Bob23

Clay:
   Be sure to apply epoxy to the inside of the holes you drilled for the mast foot bolts. This will prevent moisture intrusion to the glass, resulting in a much happier boat...and skipper. I'd use 5200 as a bedding for the foot...it should never need to be removed. Unless......
Bob23

cpietsch

Thanks.  That helps.
Do you recommend a good lubricant for the fiberglass companionway hatch cover? When I slide the cover it produces the most ear wrenching sound.  Not good!
Clayton