a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

KOINONIA LAUNCHED!

Started by Bob23, April 19, 2009, 05:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Here in NJ, yesterday was sunny, (70's) and brisk west wind! Perfect launch day. I was scheduled for a 1400 hrs lift so, arriving at the marina at 8:30, I had plenty of time. Of course, on the way down, I had this nagging feeling that I was forgeting something important. It was when I arrived that I remembered that the boom, ( a very minor part) was still sitting tied up under an overhang back at the ranch. A little time lost, but it's best not to be in a hurry.
   Back at the marina, I enjoy taking my time sorting the rigging out, putting everything where it's supposed to be and taking some all important time to gab with other sailors. Got a chance to meet an old timer working on his Freedom 40 cat ketch, my all time favorite big sailboat. I'll never own one, but they are kinda rare and he's had his for 15 years.
   As Koinonia was situated on her trailer right on the road through the marina, she got plenty of attention, which she loves. On Saturday morning around here, there is lots of activity and lots of sailors, mostly guys, stopped to admire here and compliment on her condition. (Is that a slight smile I detect in the fiberglass up near the bow?) If she were an actress, she'd probably be Ingrid Bergman!
   The mast raising is always fun. Dennis, my mast raising buddy, showed up a bit later than expected but that just left me more gab time. We live in a fast paced world; it's good to take time to talk to people. I had previously sorted out the rigging and we got ourselves in place to raise the stick. It was a bit more hesitant this year but up she went. I use an alternative technique of tying a line to a halyard, standing on the toolbox in my Tundra and pulling hard will Dennis lifts. Kinda comical watching a combined age of 110 years! We began tuning the rig and noticed a problem with the port spreader, seemed twisted or something so afte some deliberation, down came the stick to remedy. It seemed the spreader has 2 sets of holes in it and I choose most unwisely the wrong set. No problemo...in a minute we had the mast up, and soon the rig was tuned. To keep this minor blunder under wraps, we agreed that I'd buy the first beer. A small price for his silence!
   By this time, it was later than expected but Jim at Jim's Mobile Marine (a great guy) is patient. He lifted Koinonia off of her trailer and she hung there while we touched up the bottom paint. We then shifted vehicles around, purchased a small case of the aforementioned hydration product and were soon back at the marina.
   In a few minutes, we were in the water and off we went, we thought just over to the other marina where I had secured a slip for a week before I moor her at her summer mooring in Surf City, NJ. Noting that it was later than we planned, we decided not to sail but just to motor over.
   Now picture this: First really warm day of spring, first time out on the boat, 2 sail-starved sailors and 12 cold Sol beers. And were are going to motor. RIGHT! Up went the main and we empbarked on a great first sail of the season.  A bit of the brew was poured in the Barnegat Bay to officially start the sailing season.
   Koinonia sure loves to sail. With winds 15-18 and 22 gusts, we bested 5.3 gps knots, pretty impressive for just sailing with the main and no genoa. As we had a west wind, we had a nice course to Conklin Island and back again to Long Key Marina. After a few hours and bottles, we realized that we have to return to the marina sometime and now was as good as time as any so soon we were tied up, not at slip 53 at slip 60, where the quitting motor decided we should go. Who could argue with a Nissan? Especially one who's owner didn't quite attach the fuel line all the way?
   All in all, it was a wonderful day. Koinonia forgives me for the thought of selling her. She is a grand lady, gracious and beautiful. She is a constant reminder not to measure life in hours and dollars but something more real and intangible- experience. I sure am proud that she allows me to sail with her and we both look forward to a rewarding summer on Barnegat Bay! See you out there!
Bob23, not quite Humprey Bogart 

mike gartland

Bob23

Great story...glad to hear you are back on the water.  I forget how long the winter is "up north".  I get spoiled living here along the Gulf Coast where we sail year round.  I haven't sailed in 4 weeks due to family commitments and a few nagging health issues and it seems like forever.  Your story makes me appreciate what I have here and pushes me towards getting out on the Bay today.  In a little over a year I will be moving back North and will have the long winters to sit and dream of hoisting sail agin.  Thanks for the reminder.

Mike

WindRush
Mike23

kchunk

Koinonia forgives me for the thought of selling her. She is a grand lady, gracious and beautiful. She is a constant reminder not to measure life in hours and dollars but something more real and intangible- experience. I sure am proud that she allows me to sail with her and we both look forward to a rewarding summer on Barnegat Bay!

I don't believe in any of that silliness...talking to a boat and about her and personifying her as if she were flesh and blood, but with mythical powers. However, just in case, I refer to my experiences with my boat in a very similar way, Bob.  Ohana and I have an understand...as long as I pretend to talk sweet to her and treat her like a lady, she's promised to make me look like a captain and deliver us safely.  lol  :D

--Greg

Bob23

Yeah, Greg:
   Koinonia and I have the same mutual understanding. I keep her living in the manner to which she has become accustomed and she teaches me how little I know about sailing (and women!).
Funny though, I couldn't see myself thinking the same about a Hunter or Catalina or any other common clorox bottle boats. Maybe it's the care that goes into building the Compacs, maybe it's getting to know the Hutchins boys, maybe it's all that wonderful Teak. I suppose it's the same as the fairer sex: Some women turn your head, some don't, some make your jaw drop open!
(Note: No disrespect meant to Hunters, Catalinas or thier owners. Please don't be offended...life is too darned short!)
Bob23...not politically correct, ever!

newt

Grog to ya Bob for getting her on the water. They do seem to enjoy it, even though I know it is just a boat. Took friends out on mine last weekend, and you could of sworn that she was on her best manners.  I think we have a few more Compac converts, the clorox bottles just don't understand.

Mundaysj

Congrats Bob,

I am jealous.  Blond Ambition won't go in the water until May 10th (when our launch starts running).  I did have the pleasure of helping a friend bring his 43 ft Mason down from Jamestown, RI this weekend.  Five of us made up the crew.  It was such fun and a learning experience for me, but my greatest pleasure was when the captain donned his Blond Ambition t-shirt for our evening in Stonington.  Compacs Rule!!

Still glossing the woodwork,
Sherie

Bob23

Greg:
   After your post of 4/19, I began to worry about my personification of a boat made of plastic, wood, and metal. Maybe I'm starting to loose it, I wondered- talking to a boat and treating her as a real live person.
   I mentioned it to Koinonia and she told me not to worry about it. We had a good talk.
Bob23, relieved!

newt

LOL Bob.
You tell em. I keep on telling my little boat not to read these posts behind my back, but she doesn't listen.

Bob23

They never do. I once caught Koinonia talking on the VHF to other boats! Imagine that! Now if she could just cook...
Bob23, dreamin'!

Brian 1851

Bob you have me licking my chops with you launching your boat.  I am hoping myself to get out some time this week.  Believe it or not it is going to be 78 degrees in Buffalo this Friday with 20 to 30 mph winds.  Could be a very exciting day.  Hopefully everyone will be out on the water soon.  Good stuff with giving boats a personality of their own conversation, made me laugh.  Don't let your boat read this, I was only kidding.  lol

Bob23

Brian:
   This is the earliest I've ever put in and it turned out to be a good decision...so far. Since we sail on salt water down here, I've toyed with leaving her in all year...but she doesn't seem to keen on it...likes her warm winter pjs.
   Hope you get out on the water...nothing like it!
Bob23, up way too early- gotta stop drinking coffee at night!

HideAway

Bob,

Great news Bob - I'm glad she made you keep her!   HideAway lives on her trailer these days but we still sail often.  Sunday was no exception, however we are still having problems with that fine white sand that everyone raves about but is no fun to have in your engine.   I had the motor cover off to allegedly fix the problem and decided to leave it off given my success rate.  The southwest wind was blowing a steady 15 gusting into the low 20s but the sky was clear and the temp a balmy 88. 

Basic laziness dictates that I back away from the dock about 50 yards, pivot then head out into Boca Ciega Bay.  Sunday though the motor would barely move us.  I blamed it on the strong wind.   As we got into Gulfport Channel we had to power through 3 foot wind driven waves - not a big issue but we were getting soaked by spray - a very unusual event for us - then the motor started sputtering long before we could attempt to get the sails up.   We were being blown into the shallows towards the rocks so I made a quick decision -  spun the boat around and ran for shelter. 

The motor quit just as we entered the basin and the stronger wind blew us at break neck speed towards the concrete boat ramp.  Since we have been in this predicament before we were able to stop the boat using lines and pilings with no damage.   Sitting there at the dock and one holer ramp watching the other club members return from a cruise to Long Boat Key across Tampa Bay and remarking on the skill of the Sea Tow pilots bringing some of them back we were thankful to have our little self rescuing Compac.

The wind made it impossible to recover the boat so we were forced to sit on the dock by the bay and waste some time -  Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon  - and evening --  Ok sunset too!   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Mundaysj

Matt,
Quite an adventure!  I know that our motors are a necessity, but I am convinced that we would all be happier without them!!
The weather up here is rain, rain, and in the forecast for the rest of the week... rain.
Waiting for sunshine,
Sherie

HideAway

And we are in a three year drought.  Our lakes look like fields . The only legal use of water outside the house is to flush boat motors and trailers - thank goodness for that and the Gulf of Mexico!   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

As I read through some of the above posts, I realized it's been raining for about 2 months up here in the NE. What in the wide, wide world of sports is-a-going on here? Last Friday, it cleared up a bit before sunset. I rowed out the boat to tinker with something, cant' remember what and just sat there, watching the sun go down. It sure takes a long time when you stare at it. Kinda makes time slow down a little which ain't a bad thing to know how to do.
   While we've seen glimpses of the sun over the past few weeks, for the most part he keeps himself quite well hidden.
Bob23...loosing my tan quick!