Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP23

Started by aaronrank78, April 17, 2009, 06:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronrank78

Hi everyone!
I have to replace all the running rigging lines on my cp23. Does anyone have sugestions where I can order from?  I would also like to have reef points sewn into the main sail. where do these points go? I have One more question, I  modified a powerboat trailer for my CP23, but I think the boat is sitting up to high. Can anyone tell me the distance from the ground to the bottom of the keel on a typical CP23 trailer? Any responses will be appreciated!   

Aaron Rank

Washington Island, WI

Bob23

Welcome, Aaron:
   You  can order any lines from West Marine or Defender. Defender is cheaper. Look on line. Do you have an owners manual from Hutchins for your 23? That should tell you the lengths and diameters or you will probably find someone here who know all that.
   Any good sailmaker will know where to put in the reef points. Mine had one set and I had a second set sewn in last year.
   My trailer may have been a converted powerboat trailer; I bought it the way it is. Seems logical to keep the weight as low as possible. On mine, there is a board sitting on the trailer frames which supports the keel. After that there are 4 posts with pads which provide side supports. I could post pictures here when I learn how!
Bob23 in NJ

aaronrank78

Thanks for the response Bob. Im kind of new to the whole sailing bit. I bought a sun fish 2 yeas ago and am prety good at sailing that, but never sailed a real sailboat. I found my CP23 shored up at a marina on the Island I live on. She hasnt seen the water in 11 years so I have some work to do. The price was right 700 bucks, and included alot of extras.  I found on this site a list (under: Com-Pac Yacht Owners Association > Model Specific Forums > Com-Pac FAQ's > Com-Pac Specs) of all the lines and sizes I will need. QUESTION: the list calls for a 3/8" jib sheet 55 feet long. Do I need 2 jib sheets  or just one to control the head sail?Thanks again

Aaron Rank
Washington Island, WI

Bob23

700 bucks? Pinch me, I'm dreaming! You got yourself a deal and a half, man.
I use one long jib sheet, put and eye in it and wind it with twine. Just a knot that gives you a loop will do. Then I take a short piece of 3/8" and tie the loop to the grommet in the jib. It's just a bit easier than tieing the jib sheet directly to the grommet, although that will work just fine. Mine was like that when I bought her but I can't resist improving and changing stuff.
   Aaron, is your boat in the water yet? Bet you can't wait to sail her. I still own a sunfish and enjoy taking it out from time to time. Can't beat the simplicity!
Bob23 in NJ

nick23

After some research, I just ordered all new running rigging from Milwaukee Rigging on Ebay:
http://stores.ebay.com/Milwaukee-Rigging

Great service and prices are about the cheapest I could find (you can combine shipping if your order multiple items).  Defender would also be close to the same price.  Halyards should be 5/16 inches and main and jib sheets are 3/8 line.  I saved even more by going for a 300' spool of 3/8 sta-set which is more than enough for all the sheets and will leave me with some spare for backups or other uses.

I can't remember the exact lengths but you should be able to find them on this forum or the Yahoo forum...remember to add extra to halyards if you have them run to the cockpit.