a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

NEW MODEL: The Sunday Cat

Started by Tom Ray, March 26, 2009, 10:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Ray

Com-Pac has announced a new model coming soon: the Sunday Cat. A hybrid between the Sun Cat and the Sun Cat Daysailer. It has just enough cabin for a porta potti, and a HUGE cockpit.

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/news/

Potcake boy

Quote from: Tom Ray on March 26, 2009, 10:01:21 AM
Com-Pac has announced a new model coming soon: the Sunday Cat. A hybrid between the Sun Cat and the Sun Cat Daysailer. It has just enough cabin for a porta potti, and a HUGE cockpit.

Thanks for that Tom, should be a good compromise and having a head is a real plus.
I assume the photo was taken at the Compac plant in Clearwater and I'm curious at the 19 in the background. Is it going back into production?
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

mrb

In todays world of bigger is better wouldn't that be nice, putting the 19 back into production. Let's hope so.

Craig Weis

Hey what is that '19' doing in the background. Looks like Illinois registration? I wish CPY would build those again. Rich told me the molds were worn out and it was a time for a change. Change for change? How much more change can we stand?

Sounds like GM, how many name plates does GM have running around? And how many does Honda [Accord?] and Toyota [Camery ] have? It's all about branding. The Japs change the car not the name so fast.

This Sunday Cat looks great with a little cutty cabin. And look! Even has a transom. Nice sheer. So she's going to be a cat rig with the folding stick? Glad to see a new line. We are going to need a new CPYOA category on the home page. Wonder if she fitted with the standard Com-Pac bottom or a centerboard maybe hidden in the keel.  [I have not read all the posts yet so this question may be answered.] She'll be a good boat I'm sure and built well too boot. Too bad without a job I can't consider the out lay of coin.

Reminds me of the Rhodes 19 I crewed/raced on as spinnaker man out of Montrose Harbor, Chicago in high school.

Potcake boy

Oh, also to mention that the deck mold sitting behind appears to be a Suncat deck with a lowered transom? I hope their designs won't become Hunteresque, much of the Compac charm is their traditional styling.
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

mrb

Skip

What do you think it costs to design a new car and put it into production.  Then the big three (note not capitalized) think they have to do this total rebuild each year.  No wonder they loose billions each year.  You have to hope Com-Pac doesn't get caught up in that game.

Ron,   We can only hope.

Craig Weis

Well 'pot' and mrb, I saw that mold/hull and wondered about that hull falling away. I hate the Tarten 10's as that transom just points the wrong way. I agree the traditional sheerline, not ruined by a falling off transom, to us traditionalists really is the charm and not the Charmin. I feel safer with the cockpit combing watching my back and I'll put up with the outboard hanging back there out of easy reach. And I like a deck to walk fwd on not having to hump up and over the cabin. I can walk a steal beam but not a shakier deck. So the Eclipse for me is out. But it is proported to be a good sailing boat. skip.

kickingbug1

i hear a rumor that hutchins is going to produce the 16-1 design again. any info on that. nothing like a simple rig without the problems of a centerboard.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Shawn

Quote from: Potcake boy on March 27, 2009, 10:58:23 AM
also to mention that the deck mold sitting behind appears to be a Suncat deck with a lowered transom?

Isn't that a Legacy?

Shawn

Craig Weis

Yes I think of the Legacy as the new 16.
skip.

Tom Ray

Yes, that is a Legacy deck in the background of the picture. The Legacy replaced the 16 and the Eclipse replaced the 19, and neither one is coming back to my knowledge. I don't know why the 19 is in the picture. Probably some restoration project going on.

Tom Ray

The new Sunday Cat has been launched and sailed by Com-Pac! See the link for pictures:

Potcake boy

Quote from: Tom Ray on April 18, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
The new Sunday Cat has been launched and sailed by Com-Pac! See the link for pictures:

Hope that test sail was conducted on a Sunday, otherwise it could be seen as a bad omen by sailors.

Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Potcake boy

Just viewed the pics - thank you Tom.  Looks like they did the usual superb job of styling - the lines are quite nice and it fits very well with the character of the boat. Seeing the drop down access at the forward end of the cabin makes me think there might be some sort of minimal seating on each side in case the crew was stuck in a situation which meant they had to spend a little socializing time in the head together (like ducking out of a thunderstorm). Could be a comfortable hidey hole for those that melt in the rain. Personally I think a small cuddy can sometimes be a godsend on a daysailor - let's say the kids need a place to play or entertain themselves safely. This should be a prove to be a good solution for many folks' sailing needs, and looks good too.

Thanks again Tom and good luck with the new baby for ComPac
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Tom Ray