News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

anyone sailing PC's around west central Fl. coast?

Started by duva, March 22, 2009, 05:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duva

After mid April we hope to sail our PC at the lakes or in the gulf. Would like to meet other PC owners who might not mind sharing their expertise with us while sailing.
  duva
  Cat-ling

Potcake boy

Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

duva

Hi Ron, we are in Pasco County. Been here for about 15 yrs now. Seems like most ramps in the gulf are crazy with power boats. Makes it a little challenging for the rest of us. Although, the gulf seems to offer more interesting places to sail to. The lakes are a bit less stressful at the ramps, but have less to offer in the way of messing about. As my work schedule lessens we hope to start sailing more. Still have lots to learn about the sport but have been bitten by the bug bad.

Where do you sail your PC?
duva

newt

We are going to be chartering a 36 ft Pearson from Ft Myers the last week of May. Going to Dry Tortugas. You are welcome to come along, but you may have to start out a day earlier. PM me if you are interested and I will give you the details. We will go to Key West next, Marathon and then back up.

Potcake boy

Quote from: duva on March 24, 2009, 07:57:08 PM
Hi Ron, we are in Pasco County. Been here for about 15 yrs now. Seems like most ramps in the gulf are crazy with power boats. Makes it a little challenging for the rest of us. Although, the gulf seems to offer more interesting places to sail to. The lakes are a bit less stressful at the ramps, but have less to offer in the way of messing about. As my work schedule lessens we hope to start sailing more. Still have lots to learn about the sport but have been bitten by the bug bad.

Where do you sail your PC?
duva

Duva,
My home waters are the Charlotte Harbor/Peace River area. In fact just returned today from an overnighter in Pelican Bay at Cay Costa Island. Was blowing pretty good yesterday and again this morning so me and Gem n' I got bounced around pretty good. In fact I had to use the halyard winch to get the anchor line in against the wind. Luckily the holding is very good there and only a small power boat dragged and ended up in the mangroves. I'm not sure his wife and child will be going with him again any time soon. In January Steve Mainster and I did an overnighter in his PC in the keys. It was a nice sail and the area is  beautiful. The PC is such a easily trailed boat that you can take her anywhere without a lot of preparation.
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

duva

Port Charlotte/Peace River area looks like great sailing waters. I played at a Celtic Festival on the Peace R. last month and the views sparked my interest. My wife carried on a conversation with the crew of a Marshall 22 as it sailed close by the festivities. Nice boat, but then again, most catboats are.
  Your overnighter at Cayo Costa and the keys must have been very enjoyable. We've often considered an overnighter and after a year or so of sailing under our belts, we hope to do the same. Would you mind a couple of novice sailors tagging along in their PC should we make it down your way latter in the season? Would very much like to hear about your sailing adventures with your PC.

Happy sailing!
  Duva
  PC#251

Potcake boy

Duva,
I sail a 19, I have sailed with a friend Steve in his SunCat in the Keys, as well as having sailed my own boat there. Do you plan on doing an overnighter in your PC? Cayo Costa Park has camping facilities, and a couple of cottages for an overnight stay or longer. You are always welcome to join a day sail or trip of your daring.
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

cavie

Potcake, I live in Port Charlotte and am thinking of buying a picnic cat. Need crew this weekend? 5/16???? I'd like to see how they sail. My 21' catamaran is for sale.

cavie

Duva, Check this site out www.WCTSS.com. I just spent the weekend with them in Cedar Key. Great time. They also trailer down to Charlotte Harbor twice a year. They travel all over. Lake Tarpon, Mt Dora, Lake Harris. Caladise Island in Dunnedion.