a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16 Electrical System

Started by federalist, March 17, 2009, 09:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

federalist

My CP 16 is a 1984 model which I bought last May.  She is in very good condition and a little unusual in that the hull is medium blue to the waterline then has the standard white gelcoat.  She also has blood red sails which I have seen described as "tan bark".   She has running lights on the bow and stern, but had no battery.  She prior owner had her for 10+ years, but never had a battery.  There are cables near the stern under the hatch, but I do not believe this is the factory location.  Can someone explain the standard electrical configuration or provide a schematic for it?  Logically, it might be over the keel, just inside the hatch which would be centered.  Many thanks.

Also, I am really glad the forum is up & running again.  I have learned a lot about this lovable little s/v thanks to all, especially the moderator and host who makes this possible.

Federalist

KPL

mrb

Enjoyed the photos KLP

federalist,  my batt. is under the bridgdeck, do you have a control panel or are you going to have to do total wire job.

melvin

federalist

Melvin,

There is a teak electrical box inside the cabin.  It has a fuse, 2 rocker switches and a light for the cabin.  My guess is that one of the rockers controls the cabin light on the box and the other controls the running (nav) lights.  The wires run to the stern and end in the lazarette.  They are thin gauge wires and would appear to connect to a small battery.

mrb

federalist

I also have the teak electrical box. 

If the wires are coded correctly they should be green + to forward and stern nav lights.  White - neg. to nave lights

Yellow + pos. to cabin light, white - neg. to cabin light.

Red + pos. from battery, white - neg. from batt.

There should be a blue wire that would be used for mast light + pos. with a white for mast light - neg.  This wire may not be pressent if you do not have a mast light.

The question now is do you have a stern light.  My boat has forward nav. lights but no stern light.  There are wires running to stern , just no light.

If the wires running to your stern are Red and White I would say they are for your battery.

As these boats were outfitted by factory they don't draw a lot of electrical current so primary's, battery wires are not very large but they should be larger than the light wires.

If the wires to stern are Red and White I would pull them forward and put my batt. under bridge deck where you already thought it should be.

melvin

federalist

I will check on the wires' color coding but there I have the bow (red/green) light and the stern (clear) light.  There is no mast light.  What kind of battery are you using?  For this set up it seems that a deep cycle marine battery is overkill and maybe a lightweight 12V battery or even a motorcycle battery would be a simpler solution especially for taking on and off the boat for recharging.  I am most interesting in replicating the stock configuration.

Thanks for all your help.

Federalist (Ray)

mrb

I use a lawn tractor battery. 

Melvin

mrb

Do you plan on sailing after dark and if so for how long.  For interior light I use a led lantern which has its own power supply.  The led lamp has a much brighter light than standard boat light and can be used as an anchor light if needed.  If your not going to sail at night, install VHF radio and all the other electronics don't worry about a large battery.  If your going high tec then goo with the larger battery.
Melvin

federalist

Thanks Melvin.  You have been very helpful.

Fed

mikec

Quote from: KPL on March 17, 2009, 11:01:01 PM
Fed -
Check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/24984627@N08/
Maybe that will help.

Kevin

Kevin, a couple of questions. I noticed you have your compass attached to the front of the lazerette. Does it get affected by your electric motor when running, or not?  Also do you slide the batteries some how below the deck or do you leave them where your picture put them. Also do you have a porta potti and if so where do you stow that.  Thanks,

Mike C

Landlocked in Ocala.