a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 23 mast height

Started by jcatkeson, February 23, 2009, 12:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcatkeson

What is the height of the mast on a Compac 23? I am about 100 miles from the boat and need to buy some line for the halyards without having to drive there. Thanks

kchunk

Hi there jcat.

I have a spec sheet that has the mast at 25' length/ 30' above the waterline.
Halyard length is 61' of 5/16 Sta-Set.

PM me your email and I'll send you the spec sheet that I have as a PDF file. I don't know what the source is and the specs are not verified, but seem about right.

--Greg

jcatkeson

jcatkeson@aol.com

The previous owner gave me along with the boat what appeared to be everything but a crew but no spec sheet. would appreciate such

Scott Statz

Is the 25' for all models?  There is some sloppy tabernacle repair work on my 1980 CP-23 and I believe that the foot of my mast has been whacked.  The stays corroborate this.

MSS

Craig Weis

About 30 foot above the waterline as you said in the above post sounds plausible to me. Plus any radio antenna.

On a 23 foot Com-Pac: I highly doubt that from the waterline to top-o-mast is 25 foot.

My Com-Pac 19 is waterline to top-o-mast at 25 foot, + 30 " more for my radio whip.
So I'm thinking the longer the hull the higher the mast.

I have been wrong before.
A CP-27 ought to be way up there.

Just for fun a sailor could take a straight stick and place at the Tabernacle on the cabin top and horizontal out over the water with a string and bobber just touching the water. Measure the string/bobber and then you'd know how high up off the water the cabin top is. Add the mast and there you'll have it. Then tell us. thanx. skip.

kchunk

MSS, I'm not aware of Com-Pac making a "tall rig" or any other rig variation, so barring any PO modification or damaged, I'd say that 25' is the length across the board.

Skip, the 23 mast length is reportedly 25'  ... 30' above the waterline. IMHO, I think those numbers are rough estimates...I don't think the mast step is quite 5' above the waterline.

newt

I could of measured my mast if I would of seen this thread two weeks ago. It seems like the mast is about 5-10 feet longer than the hull, which would make it 30 ish, maybe a bit longer. If you want to wait till fall, I can give you the exact measurement ;)

kchunk

FWIW...the "30' above the waterline" is from the Com-Pac 23 brochure on their website. If it's really important, I suppose someone could just measure it using a halyard.

Mundaysj

Hi Guys,
I can state that the mast is indeed 25ft.  At least my mast for my CP23 is 25 Ft.  I gave in to my curiosity and went out and measured it.  Quite a funny site for my neighbors, no doubt... because Blond Ambition's cover is still on and so I was crawling around under it.. in a dress, because I didn't bother to change.  Yup ... 25Ft.
Cheers,
Sherie

kchunk

There you go...authoritative enough for me. Thanks Sherie.

OK, still got your dress on? Now go out and measure from the water line to the mast step  8)

Craig Weis

So Sherie, let me ask about holding the ladder...opps
And I'll even hold the dumb end of the measuring tape as well. skipster. "Can't take that guy anywhere."

Mundaysj

LOL!
I was on her again this weekend, taking off some of the trim.  Later, when I was ready to go to dinner I noticed that the cover blew off.  So I climbed the ladder in my stilettos to fix it.
Oh well... both husbands said I was worth it just for the entertainment value!!
Cheers,
Sherie

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Craig Weis

Stilettos! My kind of women!
Stilettos are wee bit tough on my back but I can take it.

A little Paint
A little Lace
Will make her what
She Ain't.

skipster.