a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib sheets

Started by geospencer, October 07, 2008, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geospencer

Where do you run your jib sheets on your 23?  When I sail with a 150 Genoa the sheets are outboard of the shrouds.  When I sail with a jib I run the sheets between the outer shroud and the inner shrouds . . . but that doesn't seem to work all the time.  Just curious.

Bob23

Geo:
   I only have a 135% and the sheets are run inside the outer shroud. That's the way the manual says to route them. Seems to work ok. By the way, what year is your yacht? Just curious.
Bob23 in "Koinonia" 1985 23/2

geospencer

Quote from: Bob23 on October 07, 2008, 07:56:37 PM
Geo:
   I only have a 135% and the sheets are run inside the outer shroud. That's the way the manual says to route them. Seems to work ok. By the way, what year is your yacht? Just curious.
Bob23 in "Koinonia" 1985 23/2
Thanks, Bob.  I don't think I ever had a manual?

I bought my 23/3 new in 1995.  I'll have to check the hull number to see exactly when it was built.

By the way, I like the name of your boat (κοινωνία, if I remember my NT Greek).  I'm a retired Army Chaplain. 

Craig Weis

On the Com-Pac 19, the book says to run the sheets 'tween the standing rigging and shows a drawing as to what the book says.

However that does not work with my big lapper and bowsprit. So head sheets are totally out side everything, Works well. skip.

don l

On a com-pac 16, should the jib sheets be inside or outside?

doug

As I understand it, on all the original 16's it was outside, somewhere around 1998 it changed to inside (in an attempt to increase pointing ability going into the wind). On my 2002 cb16 they must go inside as the cleats are on top of the cabin and the lines would bind if you attempted to run the lines outside.

mike gartland

I did inherit an owners manual when I acquired my CP-23.  It states that the jib sheets should be run between the lower shrouds and the cap shrouds.  When I bought the boat she came with her original genoa...I was never sure if it was a 150 or 155...but the problem was always that the leech of the sail would run into the spreaders and get folded back at least a foot or more, especially when sheeted in tightly.  This was not conducive to efficient or aesthetic sailing.  I tried running the sheets outboard of all shrouds but this didn't allow the genoa to be sheeted in tightly when I needed to sail close hauled.  The solution was to order a new 120% genoa which fits the boat much better and can be sheeted in just short of the spreaders 95% of the time.  It is also a better all-around size for sailing here along the Gulf coast where we often have 10 to 15 knot winds and the 150 was a little over-powering much of the time and required a bit of reefing (I have roller furling so it wasn't much of a task to reduce the size of the genny; it just didn't give a very nicely shaped or efficient sail).  I am very pleased with the 120 and I only keep the old 150 around for backup.
Mike23