News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Finally put the my CP-16/2 in the water!!!

Started by Mike H., September 26, 2008, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike H.

I bought my CP-16 this summer but just put it in three weeks ago. A friend of mine from work (avid sailor as well) helped me put in my boat the past three Thursdays in a row.  All three days were picture perfect, sunny & warm, with winds 10-15 on two of the days and I'm guessing 15-20 on one of the days.  I now know what all the buzz is about these boats.  I can't imagine a better boat!!!!!   I am 1000% satisfied in this boat. I'm not sure what these boats are capable of speed wise but I was averaging 4-5 mph & on the 15-20 mph wind day, speeds were about 5-6 mph on my gps.  A guy on a catamaran blew by us at at least twice as fast but he was in a wet suit & soaking wet (and I'm sure having the time of his life), we were dry & warm with no waves or spray coming over into the cockpit (front deck was wet). We exchanged friendly waves & before long he was out of site...   We lost some of our wind as we sailed into a bay common for boats to anchor (it was empty on this day)...  the bay is shallow & mostly sandy... it was nice to sail in water about 4-6' deep w/no worried of grounding out...  tacked back & forth into the bay steadily loosing wind (wind shadow) and sailed into about 3' water before I chickened out & turned out to deeper water.  On two of the trips we had a downwind run back to the boat launch and using the spinnaker pole that came with the boat ran wing on wing...  that's a first for me.  I'm hooked for sure!!!!!  Great boats, now I'm looking forward to doing some camping in the boat... will probably have to wait until next spring/summer...   Thanks to everyone who sent along advise & good wish's on my first post, I practiced much of what was suggested.  Cannot wait to get out again!!!

romei

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I'm out for the year.  It's nice to read posts like this that refresh my memory of the thrill of sailing these.

Do you have any pictures of her posted anywhere?
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

Mike H.

Hello Romei...

Glad you enjoyed my first (three) outing(s), I had a FANTASTIC time & absolutely cannot wait to go out again!!!! (may get two or three more outings before I put her away for the winter).  I have a digital camera that died on me so I don't have any photo's to post yet but want to soon.  I plan to get a new camera or just take some photos with my 35mm camera & convert to CD.  Thanks again for writing & I'll post some photos sometime soon I hope.

Psyched!!!
Mike

Rebmilc

Hello Mike

I am a new 16 owner as well and love my boat.  Great to hear that she is good in higher winds and that you are having a good time with your boat. Were are you out of?  I am in S NH and have been sailing on many of the local lakes.  The only thing is the wind has been soft between 5 and 7 Knots this boat is not exciting at 5 Knots.   I am going to head to the coast this weekend which should make things more exciting.   

Mike

Mike H.

Hello Mike

Thanks for the post & congrat's on the new boat. Glad to hear you were able to patch up the keel, if I ever need similar advise (hope I never do) I'll send out a post for your assistance.  I really can't say enough good about our boats, I really didn't even find any problem sailing to windward, made great headway as far as I'm concerned.  I've only been in a handful of different sailboats but I have been in a similar sized "twitchy" sailboat that seemed to heel excessively with any good puff of air that came along...  this boat in comparison to that one feels rock solid, even some of the stronger winds we encountered (guessing about 20 mph or near to it) the boat just heeled to a point & "firmed up"...   now admittedly we were sailing somewhat conservatively I believe, very close to the wind and would slightly point a bit further into the wind (luff the sails slightly) when the wind seemed to pick up but I think the boat would have taken the winds full "abeam" with no problem. 

I sail on Oneida Lake just north of Syracuse NY, this boat is perfect for this lake as it is very shallow and the land surrounding the lake is quite flat so there isn't a lot of interruption to the wind.  If you ever take your boat into NY let me know, I'd love to sail with another CP16 (or any other CP for that matter).   Have fun on the coast & let us know how it went.

Mike

KPL

Mike,

Glad you love the boat.  I've had mine 3 summers, and agree it's a great little boat.

I grew up in Verona, NY, and love Oneida lake.  I've taken my Kayaks and Holder 14 out at Lewis point.

I now live in Norwood, NY, on Norwood Lake, just north of Potsdam, NY.  I've been looking for places to take my 16 with my soon to be 5 year old.  The baby (16months) is turning out to love it soon.

I would love to schedule a weekend sail next summer.  My folks live in Canastota, so we are there on occasion.  Maybe we could meet up next summer for a weekend sail/camping trip?  I'd love to sail with another 16.

Where on the lake do you sail?  I'm mostly familiar with the Verona Beach, North Bay, and Lewis point area.

Kevin

Rebmilc

Hello Mike / Kevin and all

I am a sails rep oh wait I mean Sale rep for a number of outdoor company's and NY is in my territory.  If you guys decide on a 16 get together in NY I can  probably make it, And get my company to pay the gas LOL. 

Mike

Mike H.

Hello Mike, Kevin & all others...

I live in Brewerton & sail the western end of the lake (all 3 times...).  I put in at the Oneida Shores boat launch & have sailed to Frenchman & Dunham Island, I'd like to sail out into the bigger end of the lake beyond the two islands (farther east).  Mike & Kevin, I'm definitely interested next summer for a sail/camping get together... maybe we could get a few others interested as well.

Mike, I'm curious what companies you rep for, I do a LOT of kayaking, biking, camping, used to do a fair amount of climbing (mostly ice).

Kevin, it's a small world we live in. Norwood is my home town. I know Norwood lake well, used to call it Mudcap when we were kids. Swam at the dam a lot back then too.  As a matter of fact I plan to go home this weekend to help my parents get ready for winter, maybe we could meet, love to see your boat.

Mike

KPL

Mike,

I'll be around most of the weekend. I live on Riverside Dr Ext, first house next to the cemetery. Boat's in the yard at the moment, they lowered the water on Tuesday, so I pulled it out for the season.  I've got to get it cleaned up....

Feel free to stop by.

Kevin

Rebmilc

Hello Mike H and all

Tis a sad thing to see the boat out for the season. If every thing goes write I am going to sail from Hampton NH to Portsmouth NH this weekend.  Stay on the boat in Portsmouth Go out to dinner the sail back on Sunday.  Only thing may stop me is 13Knots estimated in shore I'm wondering how much wind on the ocean. 

I Rep for Osprey, G3, Leki, McNett - Boating stuff aquaseal and such and Big Agnes.  I get up in that area about once every 4 months.  I am kinda wondering if next spring I should start hooking up with folks for a day of sailing then do a story about the boat owners and there boats.  I think it would be fun and people may get a kick out of it.

Mike

Paul

WONDER NO MORE!!!  Sounds like a great idea!  I would love to read of the adventure as I will likely not make it to those waters.  Looking forward to it.

Mike H.

Hello all...

Mike, I think that's a great idea... if I'm involved I'd like to be part of a story, if not I'd like to read about the trip of those involved.  I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip from Hampton to Portsmouth & back.  I'm also very much looking forward to camping out in my boat so I'm especially interested in your camping experience. 

Kevin, my dad & I stopped by this morning & saw your boat, I guess I'm biased but you sure do have a great looking boat!!!  I knocked on your outside garage door but no answer. Hope to meet & sail sometime soon, hopefully with Mike from NH & all other's who might care to join in...

Mike

KPL

Mike,
I'm bummed I missed you.  I had to take my boys on a couple of errands to get some odds and ends for the retaining wall I'm building - not sure if you peaked over the ridge. (the little one kept my wife up all night, so we killed a couple of hours to let her sleep).

My neighbor said he saw some folks looking at the boat.  I'm kinda embarrassed it's so dirty (complete with empty beer bottle;))

My email is AK at TWCNY.RR.COM, send me your contact info when you get a chance, I'd definitely like to get together next season.  Also, if you ever want to bring your boat north, I can offer you a berth at my dock, I'll even cook you a steak and we can kick back a few.

Have you got photos of your boat online yet?  I'm curious to see you spinnaker set up.

Have a good one,
Kevin

Rebmilc

Hello Mike/Paul/Kevin and all

Well I finally sailed off the coast and stayed on my boat overnight. We sailed from Rye NH To Portsmouth NH then back the next day about 16 Miles.  Had a great time in town had dinner went to a couple bars then back to the boat for cocktails.  We were the only boat on the dock since it's so late in the season.   What a blast, winds ranged from 18 Knots to puffs of up to high 20's  on Sat and 4 to 10 on Sunday.  The boat handled better than I expected she was stable even in the higher winds.

I am going to do a full trip report later with photos.

I cant seem to post photos here anyone have any idea why.

I earlier mentioned the idea of meeting up with Com-Pac owners in my travels and writing about them and there boats.  Well it seems that folks think it is a good idea so I have  actually started making a web site I hope to publish it next week.  This project is purely for fun but it may be interesting to see what type of people own Com-Pacs and what type of trips they have done.   If anyone has a trip the have done and would like to write about send it to me.  If anyone would be interested in a day of sailing or may be a trip send me an e-Mail. 

My E-Mail is compacnh@gmail.com

Thanks Mike C