a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

16' gooseneck and decorative wood

Started by chickenecker, September 14, 2008, 10:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenecker

I  am resurrecting a 16' which  sat in a field for 15 years.  I have been able to get the outside looking pretty good.  The interior,,, well that is this winters project.  What I could use help with right now is this; where can I find a replacement for the gooseneck,   and also the scroll work that is on the deck just aft of the beam is weathered so that I am not sure what it is supposed to look like.  I tried to remove it and found that I will have to destroy it to get it off.  I want to make sure that there are replacements before I do that.  Any ideas will be much appreciated.   

Craig Weis

Hi, I am not really sure what you are calling a 'gooseneck'.

To me a gooseneck is the mechanical linkage between the forward part of the boom and the vertical slot of the mast.

It is fitted with a aluminum casting that 'plugs' into the tube of the boom and simply held in place with a few screws.

The 'business' end of the gooseneck is the part of the boom that is articulated and inserted into the sail feed and pushed down into the slot below the sail feed.

Usually held up with a sail stop and held down by a 'downhaul line' when the main sail is not in use.

[The back of the boom being held up by a topping lift line either to the top-O-mast or from a short line and Q/D fastener from the standing rigging off the stern. I realize C-P 16's don't have a stern standing rigging line.]

Goosenecks can be purchased from http://dwyermast.com/ and these are the same ones that come from Hutchins Boat...builders of Com-Pacs. Look in the index of that site for 'goosenecks'

Wood Scroll [teak?] work on the deck aft of the beam??????? Who, what, where, when, why, how? I have zero idea what this is...I did not know Com-Pacs had fancy scrollwork of wood. May be the teak hand holds atop the cabin? Sorry skip. Is this a Com-Pac we are talking about?

This is not the 'eye brow' wood pieces above the port holes on the cabin we are talking about?