a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A Great Weekend in PA

Started by romei, August 25, 2008, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romei

Well Saturday was a light air day.  Maybe 4 to 5 knots.  I decided to learn the Genoa, so I rigged and flew it.  Wow, what a difference that makes.  Caught a lot more air and moved the boat nicely, but like everything I've read, it is more cumbersome and harder to work with when there is a lot of tacking to be done. 

I even hooked up the whisker pole to it on the downwind runs.  That was sweet!

Anyway, Sunday came in with perfect wind.  I'd say prolly 8 knots and steady.  I thought about putting the jib back on but decided to be brave and keep the Genny on and I'm glad I did.  As I get more comfortable with the boat, and sailing in general, I'm enjoying it even more as the time goes on.  I was cookin along pretty good.

When I was done for the day, I rounded up about half a mile from my dock and dropped the Genny and sailed back with the just the main.  I was surprised and extremely pleased at how well it sailed under just the main.  It moved about as fast as a light air day with the jib, but the tiller seemed more responsive.  It was very easy to steer and handle. (I was going windward back to the dock)

This is prolly a stupid question, and please forgive my lack of experience, but why don't more folks just drop the jib on big air days rather than reefing the main? 
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

Paul

That's a pretty good question, actually. 

The overall idea that occurs to me when heavy weather arrives, is to de-power and remain balanced.  There's a couple of ways to do this.  IMHO, it depends on the sails one is currently using (genny vs. working jib), mast rake, and rudder (Al plate vs. foil rudder).

I feel my way.  If the boat feels balanced and in control, then things are alright.  If the boat feels uncomfortable, then I reef or take down the jib, or both.

Play around with what feels comfortable for you as you keep learning and gaining experience.  Also, practice reefing in those 8 knot winds, when it's easy.  That way, when the wind pipes up, you'll know exactly what to do and how to do it efficiently.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Potcake boy

Paul,
I think that is a very nice explanation of "how much sail".

May I reinforce your information with a tidbit of my own? I believe the difference in handling experienced was directly related to the level of heel when the headsail was doused, I would imagine there was considerable heel prior to.

When a few years back I was preparing for a transition from monohull to a trimaran I was concerned that I would miss the pleasure and excitement of heeling under the tug of fully loaded sails. It wasn't long that I learned what a foolish notion that was. Sailing flat makes deck work much, much easier and you arrive feeling not so beat up.

That taught me that sailing flat is not a bad thing, especially when in a vessel designed to do so. I believe the designers of these CP craft would agree that they are at their best when sailed flat as possible, while keeping enough power to make good headway.

It seems that whenever sailing is discussed, racing pushes itself into the topic. There seems to be a pervasive pressure on sailors for them to subject themselves to this competitive activity. We are sailing cruising boats here. Most boats designed for the express purpose of racing usually sail best at a prescribed angle of heel, they also usually require the crew to sit perched on the windward rail in most situations.

It's OK to sail just for the enjoyment, and I feel Paul nailed it when he said go with what's comfortable.
Thanks Paul

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Craig Weis

When NASA put some design work into the wetted area of the C-P 19 the less healing the better. A little differnet shape on the 16 but that was a different designer. skip.

Paul

Ron,

Thanks.  That's a good point about heeling action.

And, yes, there was considerable research performed on foil shapes based on expected speed of the vessel in question.  There's some very dry reading on the matter.  A google search will lead the way.  ;)