Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Diesel Conversion?

Started by Bob23, August 20, 2008, 03:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Hey all:
   Has anyone undertaken a conversion from outboard to inboard diesel? I'm toying with the idea (this is how it all starts, doesn't it?) so any info would be most appreciated. Also, if there are any 23 Diesel owners around, let me know...I may just want to take the road trip to see one in person.
   Bob23, concockting yet another winter project.

tsaiapex

Bob,

This CP23/D currently listed on Sailingtexas I believe was converted (http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac23102.html).    It was once owned by Kurt (our webmaster).  The work was done by the  Sailboat Company (www.ipass.net/sailboat) who has been selling ComPac for 30 years and have done some amazing conversion works.  He is currently converting a SunCat to a trawler. 

Bob23

Thanks, T-pex:
   I will certainly look into those resources.
Bob23, still buying gasoline

breeze

Bob the conversion is fairly easy with the only tool being a hand drill and a saw to cut out the opening for the control panel. All the parts are available from Com Pac. It was the first and the best improvement to my 23.
dave

737vveteran

Bob;
         I brought my CP23 2 years ago. Its a 1986 with diesel conversion.
         I understand it was done in a local boat yard. Its a Yanmar 1gm10.
         Its a 9 hp and moves the boat along nicely at 6 Kts. Its a great setup
         and have had no problems.
         Factors to consider: 2 thru hulls. One for the shaft and one for the raw water
         intake.  Also a stuffing box that needs repacking every 2-3 years.
         The most important factor is the shaft alignment. Have a pro check it out .
         All said and done Its a worthy investment and I would never go back to gas.
         Also just for grins my boat also has a Edson steering wheel with binnacle compass.
         Another great conversion. Gives you that big boat look.    have fun   737 vveteran

newt

Hi Bob- my friend and ally,
I just thought you might want to know that I am slowly converting the other way. Putting my outboard up and not using it except for emergencies, getting my oar out to get out of marina, upping my solar panel output and putting in a solar shower for hot water.
Got into a slip the other day with the wind directly on the nose, solo. Now granted it took me an hour and I took one swim doing it :).
I consider the compac like fly fishing with a superlight rod. I have to increase my skills to make it work.
Just a different point of view...

Potcake boy

Newt,
I think you put your finger on it. Auxillary engines on pleasure craft have worked to shoehorn boating into today's busy lifetyle. It's not necessarily a bad thing in itself- just a reflection of today's realities. With practice and experience you can get your boat anywhere it will float, just takes longer if conditions are less than perfect.
Haven't tried it on my CP19, but I was able to sail my Santana 20 backward with no problem.  A big part of my enjoyment has been learning single handing in close quarters. I believe a lot of success has to do with anticipating events and constantly planning ahead.
Keep up the good work,
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Bob23

Thanks to all:
   Key word here is "anywhere the boat will float." Here in Manahawkin/Barnegat Bay the water is thin, sometimes too thin even for the 23 if you are out of the channel. In addition, seems like anywhere I want to go, the wind is from dead ahead.
   While I love to sail, I've accepted the fqact that an auxilluary engine is just about a must...plus I love engines, being an ex VW freak! I'll probably never make the conversion because I love the simplicity of an outboard.
I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both, as in all of life.
   Thanks for all the feedback and advice, Skippers!
   Bob23, on the hard in NJ

Potcake boy

Bob,
I've had a couple of VW TDIs and love them. It would be nice if you could slip one of them into a boat.

I agree with your decision to not switch to a diesel for your 23, Maybe what you really need is a 27.

To anyone else entertaining this notion you should consider:
Cost of acquisition and maintenance
Weight
Interior space/storage area used
Heat/noise
Access
Enhanced steering with outboard - especially in reverse
Can be used as emergency rudder (think rudderless power boat)
Prop is easier to clear of anchor lines, errant dock lines, etc.
Prop can be lifted clear of the water to reduce drag
No thruhulls/holes in the hull to cause a problem, especially with hoses that can fill your boat up real fast

I've always disliked the sight of an outboard hanging from a beautiful transom, but we ComPac trailer sailors have a rudder and in many cases ladder stuck back there any way. Good excuse to put the boat name in big letters on the sides.

I'm using a Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke (2 cylinder) on my CP19, and never really need more than 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and it runs very smooth and quiet. Best outboard I've ever used. They make the same powerhead in an 8hp high thrust model which has electric start, power tilt, and availability of remote control. I think these are a very good option for our miniyachts.

If one runs the motor enough to worry about fuel consumption difference between the two maybe they should really have a motor boat. Oh, I didn't say that did I- dread the thought of adding another motor boat to the water. I must say with the current price of gas the motorboat traffic has really diminished. It's worth every penny.

Ron

Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Bob23

Ron:
   Many good points. I looked at a 27 last summer which was a great deal. Problem is that I moor my 23 here in Surf City, NJ for free. Yep, you heard me right...free! A 27 won't fit due to increased draft. Plus I love the looks and lines of the 23.
   Good points about the advantages of the outboard. I have a Nissan 8 2 stroke with has plenty of power. It's a long shaft (20") and maybe I'll convert to an extra long shaft (24"). That will keep the prop in the water during rough conditions.
   All my VW experience is with air cooled VW's. Old school, but that's the school I graduated from! I know 'em inside and out, having owned 14 through the years. Wish I still had one.
   Bob23

Craig Weis

Yes to convert to an in-board oil burner instead of out-board gas is to make less room for you and things inside the hull. It's the stink of that churn below decks that permeates the hull.

And more weight aft, equals slower sailing plus more holes in the boat. And noise below deck when motoring. And vibration, and fouled props that can't be cleared when gunkholing. Maybe more draft. Need room for a control panel out of the weather and more battery. Yes I think I'll run right out and switch also. And why spend more money on a conversion when a perfectly good powerplant hangs off the transom? skip. Of course it is a bit of a pain operating the O/B on the larger boats.

That's why I cut and added four rubber blocks on my motor bracket to move my 5 hp factory mounting board back two inches and down two inches.

newt

Bob, you old hippie! Hey, if you want a VW, come out to New Mexico were I grew up. I got through school with a panel van and two bugs.  Most of them was for the wife and kids, I walked every where. They are still around here in the west, where nothing ever rusts. I can see you in a Karman Ghia....
Now for the outboard stuff...
I would go small. My Honda 9.9 wieghs down the back too much :)

Bob23

Newt:
   Howdy! Yup, I guess at heart I might be an old hippie...always had a hard time conforming so I gave up trying. Being normal never felt normal, if you know what I mean! I had a 1966 Ghia- was a flood car but I didn't know it when I bought it. That engine went in 5 more VW's that I bought after the Ghia died of major rust!
   Love to have another Vdub..maybe sometime.
   Yeah, I hear the Hondas are heavy...but oh so quiet!
   Best to you from Bob23, holding down the fort here in NJ!

Craig Weis

I WANT ANOTHER 21 window Vee Wee Van with sun roof like in high school.
My last  VW van was a 1986 Syncro. Slower then molasses running up hill but I loved it. skip.

Presently my 70+ year old neighbor owns a Syncro and I have my eye on it. Think a Kennedy Conversion casting bolted onto the trans axle and a Ford Taurus V-6 would be just about perfect.
I worked at a Bosch parts house for a time. And had dozons of air cooled vw's. And a Dune Buggy. Some bugs with semaphores for turn signals.

Bob23

I've always loved the 21 window buses. I owned a 1963 (not 21) for a time. Took that thing on many surf vacations.
My brother owned a Vanagon (not syncro) and I was always impressed with the handling. The other 2 buses I owned were a 1968 and 1971. Of course they were always slow...gotta have a bit more than 57 ponies to make it go. Still, I'd take my '71 off road here in the Jersey Pines and go just about anywhere a 4wd could.
Bob23...reminiscing again