a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Question about using a trolling motor

Started by SailorDave, November 24, 2004, 01:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailorDave

Greetings - I have recently put a down payment on a Com-Pac 16 that I hope to pick up inthe next couple of weeks.  The boat as I have purchased it will not have a motor.  I'd prefer to use a trolling motor for the relatively short distances I will need to motor.  My question is are there others who are using a trolling motor?  If so what size?  I look forward to utilizing this forum a great deal in the future as I get to know my new boat.
Thanks,
Dave

multimedia_smith

Hi and Welcome to the wonderful world of "right sized" sailing on a human scale.
Congratulations on your choice of what I personally feel is one of the best designed sailboats made at any time.
The trolling motor does fine with this boat.  I use the MinnKota 55 lb thrust and it works great... even in the wind.
I also have the Honda BF2 for stronger wind and for longer range if needed.
For runs to and from the lake to the ramp... the electric is more than adequate.  The pluses are: you KNOW it will start exactly when you need it, and the added benefit of the serenity of silent running.
ENJOY!!
Dale :lol:

Dan Hill

I use the MinnKota Endura 50.  50lbs. of thrust, 36" shaft, 5 fwd speeds and 3 reverse speeds.  The tiller telescopes out an additional 6-8" and is the least expensive electric in its power range.  I mostly use it to get the boat from the trailer to the dock and back, but at full thrust it pushes like a gas outboard.  Not bad for under $200.  Runs on 12 volts; get two batteries so you will always have one charged up when you want to go.