a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hello everyone. There's a new guy here :-D

Started by romei, July 03, 2008, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romei

Hello all.  I've just been approved for this forum and registered my boat in the registry.  I've been wanting to join this group and share my story.

I've been into boating for a good while.  I did about 12 years of white water kayaking, then 5 years of motor boating and then last year I got the sailing bug.  I bought a Snark Sunflower and taught myself to sail it after a lot of reading.  I had a blast in that little boat but it wasn't what I really wanted.  It was a great learner and I'm glad I went that route, but then it was time to buy something big enough to take my Dog and maybe a few friends along.  I started looking at different boats and really wanted a Guppy 13.  It's usually just me and the dog so I didn't need a lot of room, but I wanted stability and a cuddy.  Also, where I boat there are some low bridges so I need to stay short.  I found out that a Guppy 13 was going to be next to impossible to find in Pennsylvania so I started looking at the ComPac 16 and I bought one about a month ago on Ebay.

My boat is hull number 1617 and was owned by the city government of Atlantic City, NJ.  They had an auction selling that boat and 4 nice row boats, and the guy that bought them was the only person to show up for the auction.  He bought the 4 hand made wooden row boats for $1 each and paid $10 for the Com-Pac 16.  He put it on Ebay and I bought it with everything but a trailer for $636.

Best money I ever spent.

I bought new standing rigging for it from Hutchins and took it out sailing 2 weeks ago for the first time and it was one of the most satisfying weekends I think I've ever had.   I tacked around for a bit and then got the wind behind me and threw the sails out into a goose wing.  It was awesome.  All I can think about during the week now is sailing this boat on the weekends.  I'm hooked and I really love this boat.  The only problem is that it's about 1 foot too tall to get under the bridges where I sail. 

So for now, I'll simply sail above the bridges and enjoy this beautiful piece of craftsmanship.  I'm very happy to have purchased this vessel and I'm glad to be a new member of this group.
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

DOUG142

Welcome aboard the best forum ever and the greatest boats ever.

Wow !!!!  What a steal you got buying your Com-pac.   Sounds like your already enjoying it. 

Post pictures when you can, we would love to see them.    Keep us all posted on your adventures.

Again, Welcome  and congratulations.

Doug and Linda
Summer Escape
Com-pac 16  Number 1994
Year 1983
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Paul

Welcome to the forum!!  Great story!!  Awesome deal.  8)

Ditto the photos. 

mrb

Welcome aboard
good choice on the com-pac, I think you will forget the guppy real soon. I meet a man who had one in 75 or 76 and had never sailed so I went out with him on lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.  Pretty good blow and of the 4 boats at the launch none of us wanted to take our own out so I volunteered.  Have to say I did my best to put rail down but no way was it going in the water. Safety and sea keeping good but cockpit would really only hold one without taking water over transom. He had to stay in companyon way while I sailed the boat.  No matter how much you solo there are times you want some one along and your 16 will do that.
Sounds like you are already happy.
Melvin

romei

Well, this weekend was pretty good but there wasn't much wind on the lake.  We got a few gusts here and there, but nothing to get excited about.  I hooked up the electric trolling motor though and took the dog out swimming a few times. 

I made a deal with one of the local kids there at the campground.  He's 13 years old and he wants my snark sunflower.  I want the inside of my cuddy painted so we worked out the trade.  His parents are on vacation this week and will supervise the operation. 

Hopefully, next weekend I'll have a nice looking cabin and Johnny will learn to sail.

Here's a cell phone pic.  I'll share a bunch of better pics soon.  The before and after documentary will begin shortly......

-Brooks Atkinson

John J

Welcome to the forum, romei.  You mentioned being too tall for the bridge, but you can easily solve this problem in the following manner. 

First, furl or take down your sails.  Then, connect the jib halyard to the bow to either the eye or the cleat and tighten the jib halyard to the mast cleat.  Next,
  disconnect the forestay,  Turn on your motor and drop the mast part way
while you tighten the jib halyard to the cleat on the mast.  This will allow you to go under the bridge under power slowly.  Once under, simply raise the mast with the halyard, reattach the forestay, and reconnect the jib halyard to the jib.

Best wishes,

John J

romei

Quote from: John J on July 08, 2008, 02:47:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, romei.  You mentioned being too tall for the bridge, but you can easily solve this problem in the following manner. 

First, furl or take down your sails.  Then, connect the jib halyard to the bow to either the eye or the cleat and tighten the jib halyard to the mast cleat.  Next,
  disconnect the forestay,  Turn on your motor and drop the mast part way
while you tighten the jib halyard to the cleat on the mast.  This will allow you to go under the bridge under power slowly.  Once under, simply raise the mast with the halyard, reattach the forestay, and reconnect the jib halyard to the jib.

Best wishes,

John J

I gave this a dry run at the dock and don't think it's a good idea to do this unless someone else is aboard to steady the mast while it is partially lowered.  When I start lowering the mast, the shrouds loosen greatly and allow for a great deal of sideways movement with the mast.  I'm afraid of damaging the mast step area by doing this on the water, single handed. 

I put some pics of the boat up on my server.  These are the "before" pics of the boat when I bought it.  I haven't done a whole lot since I bought it besides sail it, other than install new standing rigging, new interior paint, painted the porthole trim rings, and oiled the teak.  Will take some "after" pics sometime this summer.

http://www.ronmeinsler.com/compac/before/index.php

-Brooks Atkinson

Paul

I love that trailer!  I always wanted a tandem. ;D

How did you ever get it on the trailer.  Sounds like a great story over a couple of beers. :D

Again, what a deal.  I am curious, though, how did the cabin smell.  Hopefully, a new paint job would take care of any odors.

How does she sail?  Have you found a new trailer?

Looking forward to the after photos.  ;)

K3v1n

Great deal! Your gonna love that boat.
I still miss mine at times.

-Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

romei

Quote from: Paul on August 06, 2008, 10:19:50 PM
I love that trailer!  I always wanted a tandem. ;D
How did you ever get it on the trailer.  Sounds like a great story over a couple of beers. :D
Again, what a deal.  I am curious, though, how did the cabin smell.  Hopefully, a new paint job would take care of any odors.
How does she sail?  Have you found a new trailer?
Looking forward to the after photos.  ;)

LOL, the trailer!  The guy that sold it to me drove it from Belmar NJ to Sunbury, PA on that trailer.  I think they loaded it on there with a hoist and straps.  Propped it up with blocks and strapped it down with tie downs.  We unloaded it at a boat ramp and it floated right off.  It's still in the water.  The inside is still as dry as a camel's ass in the Kalahari.

I bought a used tadem axel tilt boat trailer on ebay.  I'm working on building and lining up the bunks and such now. 

The interior didn't smell bad at all.  The boat was in dry indoor storage for about 6 or 7 years before it got to me from what I understand.  It smells like fresh paint now :-D

Right now, she's not the prettiest girl at the dance but she sails like a dream.  If I were to compare it to a car, I would compare it to a classic Mercedes.  Solid, powerful, smooth, and still responsive to a light touch.  I just love it.

-Brooks Atkinson

Paul

:D  LOL re:  how dry she is. 

I am very interested in your new trailer design.  So, when you finish, please post a pic of it.  16's on the original trailer and shallow ramps don't usually get along.  I have an idea or two regarding my trailer, but have not taken action yet.

What good luck finding her!  You'll certainly enjoy your experience with her.  8)

Paul

Rick Klages

B.Hart

Welcome to the COM-PAC family. Glad to see another 16 found a good home!   HAPPY SAILING   BILL