a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Homemade NACA foiled rudder

Started by DOUG142, June 14, 2008, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOUG142

Well, Today was our second outing this year with Summer Escape, our CP-16.  Today we had 10 to 12 knot winds and the boat just flew.............wow.
I can not afford the high price of a Idasailor foiled rudder so this past Spring I made my own.  A NACA 0014 foil   .  You can see pics of it in my image gallery.   

WOW!! Is all I can say.  Better handling, much better pointing into the wind.  Easier tacking, what can I say, just more fun to sail. 

Love the CP-16/  we had the entire lake to ourselves because of all the floods here in SE Wisconsin.  Water levels are real high.  Dropping though.

Hope you got out and sailed today... perfect, here at least.  Bout time.

Smile,
Doug and Linda
Summer Escape
1983  CP-16
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

John J

Doug,

I am interested in converting my rudder blade to a foiled blade as you have.  Could you give me a few tips on this.

Thanks,

John J

DOUG142

John J,

Sure thing.  Hope I can help.  Learned a few things along the way. 
Feel free to email me ....... just login on this site and come down to this post and click on my name to the left.  You should then see my email address. 

Doug142
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Salty19

Doug,  Very,very nice! I know that was a lot of work but sounds like the results were worth it.   It will be fun to compare performance vs. the IDA during the Midwest Rendezous.   

Again, nice job!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

hobnob

I bought an Idasailor rudder last year and immediately noticed a major change in the handling of the boat, especially at low speeds.  That foiled designed beats the hell out of the stock sheet of aluminum, that's for sure.