News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rub-a-dub-dub---How many friends fit in a CP-16?

Started by robb_black, May 30, 2008, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robb_black

Hello all...

I'm curious to know how many people you have safely fit into a CP-16.  I have a group of friends and would like to include as many as possible when I launch The Hobbit this Sunday.  There are six adults and one 3 year old. 

We can all fit in the cockpit comfortably, but is it safe?  How does the boat handle with that many people?  Any thoughts and/or real life experiences you have had would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robb

B.Hart

Hi robb, I have had 5 adults sailing on my 16 and it was way to crowded for me, 4 can sail comfortably, but 2 or 3 is ideal. Welcome to the board.   HAPPY SAILING   BILL

mrb

Welcome Robb

I think Bill is right.  I've never had 5 aboard but really noticed a difference in how boat handed when I had 3 on board. With 6 seems you would have a hard time distributing the weight so she would sail on her lines.

Have a great Sunday
Melvin

hobnob

I've only had at most one other person in the cockpit and as a practical matter of moving the tiller and handling the rigging, I'd say that's a max for comfort.  If you're just going to motor around it would be a different matter - probably 4 people max.

mrb

For what it's worth I think you would be way overloaded, not only for pasangers safety but also legal safety.

With that many friends I would have a picnic on shore and take out a couple guests at a time.

I have had 3 adults on board at one time, one had to sit with feet in cabin and 2 ( 1 guest and myself) could then handle boat.  2 people and boat was better loaded and we could balance boat much better.  Normally I sail by myself.

melvin

Brian 1851

Hi Rob,

I have had up to five adults at one time.  Two or three is very comfortable and four is not bad.  When I had five people in the cockpit it was in 15 to 20 mph winds and there were a few awkward moments but still ok.  Having six people in the cockpit, if they are adults, seems that it would be a little to tight and could be unsafe.  With what I have experienced four or less people would be more ideal.  Also, the more you load into the boat the more of a chance you are going to have that the boat is going to be squatting in the stern making the boat sail very inefficiently.  I did not notice this so much when I was sailing with four other people but it was pretty windy.  In light winds of course this would be much more noticeable.

Steve Ullrich

Depends on the guys... Three guys just like me and you have 675 lbs in the cockpit.  Me, my wife and my 17 year old daughter and we're only carrying 475 lbs and there is room for another small one.  Just keep your scuppers above water!
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

multimedia_smith

I concur, three adults is a comfortable number... I have taken more, but they were small.  Once we went out with my daughter and three of her friends and their mom... plus me that made for two adults and 4 girls.  Two went forward to sit in the bow pulpit (they took turns up there... sometimes in the cabin and other times in the cockpit.  Most times I sail alone or with one person, but yourself and a couple is fine. 
(I do keep the scuppers plugged from the inside with a lanyard between them in most conditions - a totally different discussion)

Typically, I run through several "crews" as I can never get enough when the conditions are right.  I will have them show up at different times a few hours apart.

Best of Luck to you.
Dale

robb_black

Thanks all for the replies.  I posted that back in 2008 before I started sailing last summer.  During the sailing season I managed to have 4 adults plus a little kid on board with no problems at all.  I also had 5 adults for one outing.  It was a bit crowded in the cockpit so one of my friends hung out on the foredeck and that seemed to work well.

5 adults is the definite max for me.  4 adults makes for a nice day of sailing.

Greene

Personally I think anything over me and the Admiral in a bikini is too many!
Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com