News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking at a new-to-me CP-23 and need a little advice...

Started by kchunk, January 22, 2008, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

I've made up my mind for sure on a Com-Pac 23, just haven't decided which one. I have a few that I'm interested in and will be comitting here probably within 10 days or so. What are some of the things I should look for? I mean things specific to the CP-23. I'm a previous owner of a Catalina 27 so I know about the sailing stuff to look for, but is there anything specific to the CP to look or look out for? Typical problem areas? etc?

Also, this will be the first boat I've owned with a trailer. Anything there I should look out for? Do the factory trailers have surge brakes? Any pointers towing the CP-23 over long distances (100+ miles)?

Thanks!

Glenn Basore

Congratulations on choosing a Com Pac.

Trailer inspection is very important for those of us who trailer are boats.

If the boat is going to be in dry storage at your local Marina and not used for towing, than it might just need to be a good hard bunk for your boat to rest.

Most likely your going to be towing so you would want to be sure the frame is good, no rust that cant be cleaned up. wheel bearings should be inspected, repact or replaced with a good marine grease. tires should be good, making sure the side walls are not dry and cracking and plenty of tread on the tire.  also check the lights, tongue and hitch connections.

I know you asked about the boat in particular and I got side tracked but don't get caught going down the road and loose a wheel bearing, it will most likely ruin your whole day.

Glenn

HideAway

Congratulations on choosing a Compac.   We've had ours for 12 years the last 6 of which were in a 30 foot slip.  The idea being we'd trade up.  Never happened, we like our 23 too much, its so simple and inexpensive to operate that nothing else appeals.  We just moved back to a 25' slip and everyone is happy.

As far as finding out it s quirks I'd recommend looking at old posts in the forum.  You won't find much that goes wrong with the Compacs but you will learn about changes etc.

Towing is in our future to.  You will need a full size 1/2 ton pick up or SUV with a V8.  I bought a F150 with the factory tow package that includes a limited slip differential.  It came with electric brake hook up and from what I can learn the new trailers have the proper connections for salt water so we will likely go that way.   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

rmonsma

Let me add my congratulations also on getting a comPac.  I tow my 23 with a 2006 mid size Toyota Tacoma (that's Toyota's smaller truck) and it does the job nicely.  My truck has a V6 rated at 236 HP.  My first tow was several hundred miles mostly over level terrain.  Good luck and have fun!

kchunk

Thanks for the replies. We're planning on leaving the boat in a slip on an inland lake rather than the ICW. My C-27 we kept on the ICW so I'm looking forward to trying a little lake sailing. The fact that I'll have the trailer makes it so much more appealing. We vacation in the Keys every summer and man, I'll love to take the boat down there!

Let me ask a few more trailering questions: What about brakes...does the factory trailer come equipped with brakes? How often do you find a boat ramp that won't accommodate your CP-23? I hate the thought of getting all ready to try a new sailing location and get to the boat ramp and not have enough water to float the boat, or worse yet, have the trailer drop off the edge of the ramp...

Glenn Basore

I tow my Eclipse with a 1996 s-10 Blazer which tows very well.

I recently have been thinking about adding brakes to my trailer. All though I have had no problems stopping the trailer, I would like the added assistance of the trailer having its own brakes. I have tow other trailer with electric brakes or surge brakes and liked the towing much better.

I have not made up my mind if I want to go with the simpler surge brakes or the electric brakes ?

Glenn

Craig Weis

I think I would do the electric since they can be adjusted from inside the tow car/truck.