a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail Care

Started by Keith Laser, January 08, 2008, 09:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Laser

I just got my jib and mainsail back from Sail Care.  The sails are 26 years old and while the prior owner took good care of them, I don't believe that he ever had them cleaned or treated.  I can't say enough about how impressed I am with the LaMauney Process.  For a little over $100, I have two sails that could easily pass as brand new.  I strongly recommend this service to anyone who would like to have their sails looking like new with the crisp stiffness and feel of new sails.  Very impressive!
Keith

idouglas

Thanks Keith:

Can you provide the link and any other contact info for Sail Care?

idouglas

Keith Laser

idouglas,

You can find them at sailcare.com.  They are located in western Pa.  I am really impressed with how my sails turned out.  For another $5 they made the sail bag look brand new.  They quote you a price for new letters, telltales, and the Compac logo which I didn't get. I'm glad that I didn't because the originals all look like new now.

Keith

Ralph Erickson

Keith, can you give an idea of what price they quoted for the "extras:?  I'm getting ready to have my old sails serviced, but know I need a bit of sewing and logo work done, and the telltales would be nice.  Was set on going to Linthicum Sails in New Jersey, but not sure that they use the "LaMauney Process", or anything like it.  Thanks!

Ralph
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

Keith Laser

Ralph,

What they do is look at your sails, and then send you a quote for what they recommend needs to be done.  They list each item for you.  Then you call them back, and tell them what work that you authorize for them to perform.  Or you can email them before you send them your sails, tell them what you think needs to be done  and they will give you an estimate of their fees.  I'm very impressed in what they did for $100 for which was clean them. 

Keith

Bob23

Keith:
  I also was very impressed with Sailcare. I sent my original 1985 sail for my 23 to them. They did some repairs, cleaed 'em, and they came back crispy.
  They are usually at the shows and they are very helpful and fun to talk to!
  Ralph:
   I don't think Linthicum  uses the same process. Many lofts will launder your sails but Sailcare reimpregnates the sail with something- resins?
   Ralph, do you sail in NJ?
Bob23 in NJ