a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need a picture!

Started by jimyoung, December 13, 2007, 08:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimyoung

In the process of rewiring the instrument panel on my "86  27/2 I have a wire left over and cannot seem to locate it's connection. Could one of you 27 owners please take a digital pic of the backside of your instrument cluster and send it to me?  my major intrest is with the small gauge wire that comes off the PC board on the water temp gauge.  Without it connected the oil pressure or high temp warning do not activate the buzzer.   And yes, I was thoughtful enough to take pictures before I started...... I just cannot find them now!  Must be the mad cow disease.

Thanks in advance for the trouble.

spaul

Jim,
I'll try but it'll be a day or so before I can make it over to the marina where we store our boat. I have a schematic, what color is the wire and can you tell me where it goes to from there? What other wire(s) do you have on the gage? What color are they?
My cp is a '92 and has idiot lights so we may not be exactly the same but I'll try to help.

Steve Paul

bmiller

My boat is an 86 also. I don't know if any of the two previous owners made any changes or not. I did switch the ignition circuit so as not to require pushing the glow plug button in order to push the starter. Not needed on a warm engine.

BTW, you owe me a beer some day, there's 2 feet of snow outside here!

jimyoung

Bmiller,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!  That is EXACTLY what I needed! And dodge the snow.... Come on down to sunny Florida and I'll serve you that beer on board Miss B. Temps are still in the 80's here.

Again Thanks!

Jim

bmiller

No problem. We had a couple storms roll through while I was hunting in SD. Serious dumpage, when I got home found the winter cover had been smashed all to hell.

DH

Do you have a diagram of how you rewired the ignition circuit?

jimyoung

DH

I have a rough schematic that I made up before tearing it apart with the exception of the little orange wire that is shown in the picture below.  It is in my desk at home somewhere.  If you need a copy I could scan it and send a copy..... It's not art but it seems to be accurate.

Jim

P.S. On a similar note, I finished the wiring for the nav station that I sacrificed part of the starboard settee for and am VERY happy with how it turned out. Looks similar to the nav station on the 34's. I will try to post some pic.s later.

bmiller

Quote from: DH on December 18, 2007, 10:16:02 AM
Do you have a diagram of how you rewired the ignition circuit?

It's right in that picture. Notice the back of the two push button switches, lower right of the picture. there is a jumper, the red wire going up and over, I moved it from the switched side of the glow plug switch to the hot side. Give me a little time and I'll try and draw something with photoshop.

Here you go! Excuse the cheesy photo shopping.

DH

Thanks, I would like to see that drawing.

Now am I looking at this correctly?

On the far lower right of the picture where you have your photo shop lines drawn there are three red wires. Two with yellow collars and one with a red collar. All are on the same connection together. Two appear to be the same size, one is much smaller. The red wire with the red collar is smaller.

Next to them on the left anchored by a screw to a connection is a white wire with a black collar. Then directly to the left of that is a red wire with a yellow collar connected to a contact. That wire is the other end of the wire that is the top red wire described with the three wires on the far right.

Originally that wire was moved from the connection with the white wire described above to where all three wires are on the far right.

Is that correct?

bmiller

If I read that correctly, yes.

If you look at the pic, starting from the right, the first screw with 3 wires (all red 2 large 1 small) is the 12v hot side, the next screw (white/black) is 12v going to the glow plugs when the button is pushed, the red jumper wire goes up and over to the next button which sends power to the starter, it was connected where the W/B wire is. Meaning in order to get power to the starter button you had to push the glow plug button also. So all I did was move the jumper from the switched side of the glow plugs to the hot side.

I hope that helps.

Bill

DH