a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Help with rigging my Eclipse

Started by Glenn Basore, November 26, 2007, 10:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

This weekend was sunny warm ( 75 - 80 ) and I decided to tackle a few things that needed to be corrected on my Eclipse.

I was working on trying to figure out how the reefing line(s) and out haul line are to run through the boom !

I'm not sure I have them right !

The out haul line runs on the middle pulley to the front of the boom (at the mast) and hangs loosely at the end ?

The black line (reefing Line) I tied one end of the line to the gringle on the trailing edge of the sail and ran the line through the boom to the front of the boom, this too hangs loosely ?

Since there is a third pulley I guessed that a second reefing line is tied to the gringle at the leading edge of the sail and runs straight down through the locking lever at the front of the boom and hangs loosely too?

I would think the reefing line would be set up for single line reefing system but could not figure out how with the lines I had laying around from the previous owner.

I have no instructions on the standing rigging or sail lines which I would like to have, I don't think Com Pac has anything on this.

Also an electrical wiring diagram would be nice to have too.

I discover a small (about 12 to 16 inches) black line tied to the back side of the bilge pump but nothing at the other end ?

I was not able to figure out how the Bimini is mounted, it seems that when I snap  the cover in place it inter fears with the traveler ? (prevents traveler from sliding across rail.

Also, what keeps it from being blown back after you have it in place ?

Glenn B.

hazelscamp

You're correct, as far as I know there are no electrical or rigging diagrams.

I would like the outhaul line to be longer so I could run it back into the cockpit.  The one on my boat hangs down about three inches from the gooseneck end of the boom.   Ditto for the end of the single point reef line.   I don't want to crawl froward to the base of the mast when I am the only one in the boat, it would be much better to be able to accomplish these tasks while holding on the the tiller, but how then do I operate the clamp.   I'm not sure what the third set of pulley and locking clamp is for.

As for the bimini,  mine goes under the forward boom galley rail, wraps around the back boom galley rail and snaps in place on the blocks and other snaps located on the bimini.  That way the traveler is clear to run left and right accross the forward rail.

Norm     

Glenn Basore

Thanks Norm,

I got a better idea on the Bimini now. are there any straps to hold it in the open position ?

I used a single line reefing system on my other small day sail boat and it worked great. the bad thing about it, i still had to go forward to the mast and tie it off when reefing. this wasn't a big deal but on the Eclipse its harder.

I think I might still go with the single line reefing system like on my old boat. it really worked well. most times I would reef before leaving the dock but on the occasions where I had to reef while sailing I would just heave too setting my tiller tamer.

jmh123

I have a short black line near the bilge pump and it is used to hold the plastic water container in place.  It is simply tied to the container handle.

Glenn Basore

Thanks jmh123,

My water tank is loose and slides all around so I will tie it off to hold it in place.

hazelscamp

My Bimini has straps that run forward to the lifeline post on each side.

My Water tank sits in a plywood tray with 2-1/2" sides to limit movement but I am going to look for that black line and secure it to the tank.  It must have slipped down behind the tank out of sight.

The lid to the locker where the water tank is housed concerns me.   I have installed a water proof gasket and plan to place a latch on this lid as I don't want a following wave to dump water down into the quarter berth area.

Norm

Glenn Basore

I too have some concern as to water tight lockers in the cock pit. the previous owner cut away the neck or shoulder area of the starboard locker ( I think this is where the fuel is stored. I did noticed how ever this area is sealed under neath so no water should get into the berth area.

I think he cut this to make the opening larger so there is no shoulder, this would be hard to repair I would think.

On the battery side (port) I have no ply wood for the water tank, its just slidding around behind the single battery, I don't know if there is supposse to be 2 batteries or not, I don't see any loose wires but the space looks like it should have two batteries.

I should remove the water tank and flush it out good and then see if I can mount it in place, what about 2 ' wide Velcro straps ?

As to the Bimini, I did see some green straps in the storage box under the step, may be these straps are for the Bimini ?

hazelscamp

My boat came with the wood tray for the water tank and only one battry.  I have installed a second battry alongside the original.

Glenn Basore

hi Norm,

I like the idea of a second battery, I'm in the process of adding a power winch that will raise and lower the mast.

hazelscamp

How do you plan on charging these batteries.   Do you store the boat at home and plug in a charger, run a line from the two vehicle or have a solar charger?

I have a solar charger but find that I have to use a plug in charger to restore the bank after a night out on the water.   

I am thinking of building a plywood tray to hole my two batteries like my water tank has.   I think this would make them a lot more secure.

Did you mount the power mast winch on the trailer?

I've been out once this year and plan to go again this weekend.  It's cool but invigorating!

Norm

Glenn Basore

Hi Norm,

Yes the boat is kept at home, she takes up 1/3 of my 3 car drive way.

I just broke my solar panel, it didn't last very long, I dropped it and the glass shattered like a shower door !

The power winch will run off the boat battery or car so that isn't a problem. keeping the batteries charge is a problem for me. I did get some goodfeed back on how to add some electronics but if you cant keep the system charged than their of little use.

As of today, I run an extension cord out and hook up my battery charger to charge the battery, its a pain. It would be better to remove the battery and keep it on a trickle charge in the garage until I need it.

I don't like lifting the battery in and out but if it was in the garage I would check it more offten.

As to the winch, I plan on mounting it to the vertical riser on the trailer. I have the winch and items needed to do this but between the holidays, bad weather and being down sick I have done nothing.

INVIGORATING !.........That sounds cold to me. although our temps have been in the low 50's and 60' this feels very cold to me, I know this would be pleasant weather for you folks who are cover in that white winter blanket.

I hope to get out soon.

BrittainMach92

Glenn,

I use a BatterySaver Flexible solar panel.  Almost indistructable.  I start the season with a fully charged battery and the solar panel provide power the remainder of the season.  Try www.icpglogal.com for info.

pcb
Winds Aloft

Glenn Basore

hi PCB,

Thanks for the information, I haven't had any luck with the link you provided under "battery saver flexable  solar panel" all I get is for commercial or residential ?

I have see some flexable solar panels else where, they looked pretty good, you could even walk on them. I thought they were pretty pricey, I will have to look again.
Glenn