Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Forward hatch replacement

Started by dbunny23, October 23, 2007, 10:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbunny23

Hello All;

I've been lurking since I joined the list in April, when i bought "Mon Ami"(to be changed) a 1980 Compac 23 (#62).

I need to replace the forward hatch and was wondering if anyone had any luck with the standard replacement hatches available commercially, or if by chance,  the hatch on the current crop of 23's has the same dimensions and could be purchased through Compac.

Thanks for any help and suggestions,

George Royal
Panama City, Fl

rudy

hi there,
i had, 'hutchins' on the phone a couple of days ago about similar questions and they assured me that they pretty much have everything in stock. same sizes etc. just give them a call. on the other hand you might find something cheaper elsewhere.
i don't have, own a cp yet, but it probably is only a matter of time. i narrowed my search and i'm currently looking at 2 cp-23's. hopefully i can close on one of them soon, before thanksgiving! still many details and loose ends to be worked out.
i see that your boat is in panama city, fl and i was planning on launching(once i have it of course) somewhere around there. although, i don't know that are well if at all. do you live there or nearby? there are a few questions I'd like to ask if you don't mind. storage, do-it-yourself boat/trailer yards etc...marinas in florida tend to be $$. i'll drop you a mail.
best,
rudy

dbunny23

Thanks, Rudy

As far as your questions about PC; I have only lived here for a year and have not really looked into any of the storage yards, boatyards(other than to see what was being worked on!).  I am doing my work in my yard, and will be launching from ramp at St Andrews State Park and will be keeping her on a mooring on Grand Lagoon, near state park.  When we trailered her this summer to do the work, the ramp was more than sufficient.  I picked a slow day(late August), because this ramp is extremely busy during the summer.  The times I have been out with friends, either sailing, fishing, or diving, St Andrews Bay is a gorgeous place for boating, and again, extremely busy during the warm months.

Take care,

rmonsma

George,

I needed to replace the forward hatch on my ComPac 23 this past summer and checked all over.  I ended up ordering through Hutchins.  the hatch they sent me was far better than the one I removed.  I did have to enlarge the opening slightly but it went well.  Good Luck!

Roger

dbunny23

Thanks, Roger.

I have a long list of work I want to complete before relaunching her.  She was neglected from Hurricane Ivan until I bought her April 07.  Really looking forward to getting her back in the water and checking out the bays around Panama City and sailing over to St Joe Bay/Cape San Blas.

Happy New Year!!

rmonsma

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.  At least it is a labor of love and the end result is worth it.

The hatch I got from Hutchins was a Bomar hatch.  The frame is aluminum and it has a smoked acrylic panel in it.  There is an inner aluminum piece also that trims off the opening and a screen is included that fits there.   When I removed my old hatch I had to enlarge the opening slightly which I did with a jig saw.  Once the fit was right I put sealant on the frame and screwed it in. 

Inside the cabin was more work because the cabin headliner is curved and the inner aluminum frame is flat.  The gap that is formed between the two needs to be filled in with wood or some other material.  Hutchins sent me a piece of teak to put into the spot.  If you order from them be sure to ask about getting the teak piece.  The cost through Hutchins was less than I could buy the  hatch elsewhere.  They were good to deal with.

I suppose all together it took me 2 -3 hours to to the job.  Most of the time was spent enlarging the opening.

May you be back on the water soon.

Roger

dbunny23

Thanks, Roger.

It has been fun working on the boat....I have learned a lot!