a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Rudder ?

Started by Glenn Basore, October 16, 2007, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

I notice I seem to have way to much play / slop in my rudder and after looking at it I noticed the top "pivot bolt" seems to be of a smaller diameter compared to the bottom "pivot bolt".

Also, I think there should be a couple of washers too but are none ?

I would think both bolts would be of the same diameter and length with washers and nuts to match.

I plan on replacing these items with stainless steel parts.

Anyone one else have "play  / slop in there rudder ?

hazelscamp

Glenn,  I haven't looked closely at the rudder fittings on my Eclipse.   I guess I should inspect them.   I did add some lubrication.    I read recently that the manufacturer will start adding bearing sleves on the rudders of all the Com-Pac boats.   Perhaps this would be a good retrofit to control the wear on the rudder fittings.

Glenn Basore

hi Hazelscamp,

Bearing Sleeves would be good !

The upper part or the part of the rudder that mounts to the rudder seems to be of a "casting" type material, or may be aluminum ? I could see possibly wearing down over time, how ever, This boat is only a year old and only used few times ?

When I sailed the boat I notice a lot of play or slop which did not seem to meet the quality of the rest of the boat.

It didn't feel natural so I'm going to see if I can correct this miner annoyance.

What type of  lubricant did you use

hazelscamp

I used some white lithium lubricant that I had on hand for the sail track.   Can't say that I took much care in selecting the correct application.  I was just greasing everything that moved.

Glenn Basore

Problem fixed,

The bearing was missing in the top hole, I replaced it and everthing is good.

Thanks,

Glenn B.