a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse First taste of salt !

Started by Glenn Basore, September 18, 2007, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Well, after a 1200 mile, two day, round trip drive to Tucson AZ and home, Castaic Calif. I was able to sail my newly acquired 2006 Eclipse in the Big Pond (Pacific Ocean) last Sunday.

Rigging, launching / retrieving were a snap.

I had with me an experience sailor who is use to sailing boats of this size so we headed out of the marina under full sails into the vastness of the Pacific.

Brian (my crew) likes to get the most out of a boat so we sailed aggressively at times

It was a very cool day (65-70 degrees) with 2 - 3 foot swells, white caps, some chop, a steady 15 mph winds and over cast.

The first thing I notice was the solid feeling she has, the rudder was light, no unusual strain and very responsive.

With the traveler set to the leeward side she just sailed along nicely, when we did get a stronger puff, she simply started to round up a bit.

Although other boats her size were reefed, we did not feel the need to do so.

While sailing down wind with the seas, the transom simple was lifted by the swells as it past under her. no water came in or spashed about.

The "plum Bow" is really nice, as we approached a large wave, she simply sliced through it with the water parting out to the sides, very smooth entry, no pounding or slapping.

I had read several post on the lines getting tangle while tacking, may be because I read how some of you got around this, I did not experience this problem, I simply waited to rellease the sheet until the sail was "back sailing".

After 2 1/2 hours we decide to call it a day and sailed down wind all the way back to the docks, I did have to make two attempts at the dock, not use to sailing her in tight areas, I was a little nervous about hitting the dock, but all went well.

So far, she meets or exceeds my expectations, there was nothing unusual or surprising, just a great sail.

I think this is one of Two Eclipse here in Calif. and I drew a lot of attention with her while rigging and sailing her. hopefully she will bring many more to the west cost.

Craig Weis

Wow good report about the Eclipse, as usual the handling of the boat is what I figured it would be from just sitting on the floor display at the sailboat shows.
So this Eclipse is a good replacement for the C-P 19? I guess so. And it like 'salt' so when are you sailing to So. America?   LOL   skip.

Glenn Basore

Hi All,

I have a black line tied to the end of the boom that I have not been able to figure out what it is for, may be a single line reefing line ?

On the boom there are some levers at one end, what are these for and how do they work ?

BrittainMach92

The black line is most likey part of your reefing, either single or double line reef depending on your configuration.  The levers on the opposite end of your boom are for locking your line that run through. On my Eclipse one lever secures the outhaul and the other lever secures the opposite end of the black reef line.

Hope this helps.

PCB
Winds Aloft

Glenn Basore

Okay,

I will look at it again.

Does the black line run on the inside of the boom ?

BrittainMach92

Yes, the black line goes inside the boom and down on the mast end.

pcb
Winds Aloft

Glenn Basore

OK,

I will see if I can feed it though the boom, haven't really studied the problem but didn't like all the loose black line raped around the boom.

I bought the boat used and didn't get a good education from the previous owner on how all the lines were attached and their purpose.

Are you sailing an Eclipse ?

BrittainMach92

Yes, I bought a new 2006 Eclipse last year.

I may have some pictures of my running rigging if your interested.  Let me know.

I changed my reefing configuration to a single line.  The line runs from the back of the boom forward to the mast end, down to a double block attached to the boom vang ring, up the starboard side through the sail clew, down  the port side to the double block, then led aft to the cockpit.  It sounds complex but actually a simple setup.

Pcb
Winds Aloft

Glenn Basore

My boat is a 2006 too.............

It does sound a little complex if you have some pictures of this that would be a big help.

I have the owners manual but there is not much information as to lines. I'm guessing at most of this stuff.

by the way. those little spring load pins to hold the mast in place, the ones where the ends turn 90 degrees to lock in place !...........there pretty hard to do with these old arthritis hands, anyone have a better way or pin ?

Also, the large pin that goes through the mast is bent, I don't know if thats from any loads or stress placed upon it while sailing or it just got bent being forced into the tight hole ?

I think there is a fresh water tank on this boat that I cant  find as yet, where do you put the water in  at.

I was dumbfounded when I could not find a plug for the boat !

Are you going sailing this weekend ?

There is a slim possibility I might get out on Sunday.

BrittainMach92

Glenn,

I agree, the spring load pins can be difficult.  I'm not sure of a fix.   My long pin is also slightly bent.  I read somewhere that the aluminum pin is being replaced with a steel one.  I carry a 1/4" x 5" bolt on board as a backup if ever needed.  (a Lowe's purchase for around $1.00.

My fresh water tank is keep under the port cockpit seat.  Just remove the cap and/or tank and fill as needed.

No plug needed with the open transom.  The manual bulge pump handles any collection in the bulge.

Yes, I plan to sail all weekend as our season is about to end for the year. (Southwestern Ohio)

If you want, send me your email address and I will try and locate some pictures to show you.

pcb
Winds Aloft

Glenn Basore

I will pick up a stainless steel bolt the next time I'm at Lowe's.

I need to explore under all the seats, and lockers to see what is in these spaces.

I have yet to find the bilge pump handle, must be in the boat some place.

I was born in Akron, many many moons ago ! I lived in Southern Calif. all my life (with the exception of my first 6 months in Akron.

Do you keep your boat in a large garage to keep it out of the snow ?

We got rain last week and I had to jack the tong up to get the water to drain out of the cockpit area, no water got inside from what I could tell.

here is my email address

glenn.basore@medtronic.com

I hope to do more winter sailing now that I have a larger, dryer boat. my wife does not like cold, that range is between 80 -85 degrees !

have you done any maintenance on the Teak ?

The teak on my boat is pretty dried out so I'm going to do some light sanding and adding Teak oil this week end if I don't sail.

hazelscamp

Glenn, 

My Eclipse teak was in bad shape when I bought the boat second hand.  I am having to do some HEAVY sanding on mine.  I plan to keep it oiled hereafter.

I get a little water in the bilge after rains.  I think it comes down the mast, but is not a problem.

The pump handle may be in the compartment under the step of in the starboard cockpit locker.. two of my favorite spots to put it.   It is a 8in alumimun tube with a black rubber cover on one end.

You mentioned plugs.  The boat does have on seacock for the sink under the port side just forward of the berth.  It may need to be exercised now & then.

I have replaced all alumn. pins with stainless steel.  Mine were all bent and difficult to insert.

Converting to a single line reef sound good.  It is a pain to crawl forward and insert the forward reef grommet onto the hook a the mast.   I have already had to re-thread the black line through the boom when it was accidently pulled out the boom end.

While raising the mast, watch the alignment of the quick-release fittings on the side stays.  One of mine was out of position and before I realized it, I bent it by pulling too hard on the mast raising systems vang block.   Now I have learned that when raising anything on a sail boat, "if it sticks, don't to force it".

Good Sailing..

norm

Glenn Basore

Hi Norm,

I will take a good look at the boat this Sunday, When I have time to crawl around through her and take a look see. I didn't see any water on the floor after our rain, assumed it was dry, now you got me thinking I need to get inside and move things around to check for water .

The grain on my wood appear to be elevated and the wood fibers seem to be recessed, I was thinking if I soak the wood with the teak oil, the fibers might come back up to the top of the hard grain  or should I just sand it even and add oil ?

I think I will replace all the pins with stainless steel, sure would like to find a nice simple to use quick release pin, may be ones with the ball ?

How many Eclipse owners are on this site ?

Seems to be a pretty good source for information on Com Pac Fleet.

gradycampbell

I also had a bent pin that holds the mast for trailering, and splurged to get what appears to be an exact replacement from the huge hardware supplier McMaster-Carr. I also bought some quick-release pins to use where the Johnson levers fasten the lower end of the shrouds to replace the slower circular clip pins. I figure the pins that allow the mast to tilt up and down have to be a tight and therefore difficult fit because there can be no slop there. I have resisted the urge to bend anything to make an easier fit. I am not surprised that at winds of 15 you experienced no tangling of jib or sheets; that is generally a low winds problem. Though your tacking style could very well be to credit, though I've tried it that way with less success. I've put a plastic loop on the front of my mast (modified a 3" PVC conduit strap from Lowe's and screwed it with a longer screw through the top screw of my sail guide) and with two outings have gotten no tanglings in conditions I'd have expected them. Despite all the problems with my Eclipse, I also am finding it to be a fine sail, and experienced friends I have had along have been very complimentary of the way she sails (I think they were being genuine?).

Glenn Basore

I too have used McMaster-carr for a number of years, I find they usually have what I need and of good quality.

I like the idea of a "boot" around the hinge part of the mast. I was thinking of making something out of vinyl, leather and using Velcro to hold it in place while sailing.

It would be soft and some what conforming to the the hinge area, may be a backing of foam to cover the pins to give the outside a smoother area.

Still milling this around a bit.