a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast rake

Started by trapp, October 06, 2004, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapp

I recently stepped my mast to replace the standing rigging and some other minor repairs, I was wondering if there is anything special I need to pay attention when I stand it back up?

dreamchaser

I have a good artical on mast tuning, comical and informative.
If you will E-mail me at   donperry1@charter.net  I'll attach it to a reply message

CaptK

Don -

Can you post that mast rake article to the "Articles" section of the Forum below? It's the kind of info I'm sure many people would find helpful.

If it was written/published by someone else, there may be a copyright issue, but I'll attempt to get permission if it was. If that is the case, email the article to me (address: "kurt" and then the "At" part  and then "com-pacowners.com"), and I'll take it from there. Thanks, either way! :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Chuck

Quote from: dreamchaser on October 23, 2004, 05:38:10 PM
I have a good artical on mast tuning, comical and informative.
If you will E-mail me at   donperry1@charter.net  I'll attach it to a reply message
Dreamchaser, I tried to contact your e-mail but didn't get through. I would like a copy of your mast rake info if you could send one to chiefchuck70@hotmail.com  Thanks Chuck

Craig Weis

Got it from Mr. Com Pac [Rich Hutchins] himself at the All Sail Show..."No Com Pacs need mast rake."

skip.

Bob23

Cp 23's should have a slight mast rake forward; about 2-3 degrees. Looks odd but helps lessen weather helm.
Bob23

BobK

I agree with Bob23.  My mast is rake is slightly forward and it greatly decreased the weather helm.
BobK

Craig Weis

If your weather helming your sailing out of control. Regardless of rake. It's unnecessary.

Salty19

The compac owners manual states the 16 and 23's should have slight forward rake.  19's--no rake. 
This has been confirmed a few times in the past.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

Mine also has a slight forward rake.  I never thought about it.  Obviously came from the factory that way with factory installed furling.  I've never adjusted.  I use the loosen the back stay to get the pin out of the furler drum when I lower the mast.  Never adjusted the length of the forestay.  Don't know how with it inside the furler.