Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer loads and Tire rating !

Started by Glenn Basore, September 04, 2007, 10:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hello all,

Recently I learned "performance trailers" are now out of business.

I sent an e-mail to Com Pac asking questions about Performance Trailers and how to increase the load range.

I received a very speedy reply from Mr. Gerry Hutchins of Com Pac.

He confirmed Performance Trailers were out of business and he did not know if they were going to be picked up by any one.

He went on to say, the tires on the Eclipse trailer are 10 inches "D" series, by going to an "E" series you can increase the "tire load capacity" by several hundred pounds".

So, I think this is a good fix for us and not too expensive to upgrade to a better tire so we can carry are gear on the boat.

He also said he was not sure of the bearing size for the 5 lug hub.

Now, finding the "E" tire !

Craig Weis

The 'E' tires can be ordered by any tire guy in my little town of Sturgeon Bay...and UPSed in in just a few days. . skip.

Glenn Basore

Actually Skip,

I removed the 205/65-10 "E" tires that were on the tire and replaced them with 14" rim and 185 tires, this give me 1875 lbs load rang for each tire !

I did have to remove the fenders and cut off the fender supports to do this. I'm in the process of remounting new fenders.

These modifications I made only raised the trailer height 3 - 4 inches. not a big deal here in Calif with the nice deep ramps we have.

The boat/trailer tow 100% better.

gradycampbell

I had a similar problem; my Eclipse with Performance trailer came with C-rated tires. I noticed a discrepancy between the pressure spec on the tire and the pressure spec on the trailer decal. Performance, who was fortunately still in business then, said I should have gotten E-rated tires in the first place so they shipped me some mounted on wheels to switch out and return the old tires/wheels. There was an obvious difference in how the trailer handled, not surprising because of the pressure difference. Another problem I've had is that the zerk fittings on the bearings on both sides came out the first or second time I lubed up. I have kept them out, and to lube I now have to press them in place long enough to get enough grease in. I have been looking for other tire possibilities, since radials are not available in our size, and it is even hard to find a good quality tire in our size, and therefor was quite interested to hear about the 14" mod. I've been curious who now does the trailers for Hutchins, does anyone know?

Glenn Basore

I think "Magic Tilt" is now suppling the trailer, I cant remember if Gerry told me this or A Com Pac Dealer.

I'm really happy about going to the 14 inch rim and using 185 / R14 "O" tires, this gives me a much easier tow, 1875 lbs load range on each tire.

I probably repeated my self on this, sorry !

I'm going to add new fenders (the old fenders wont clear the tires and you have to cut the old fender bracket off - no big deal) in a couple of weeks. I priced new galvanized fender at about $30 each.

As to the grease fitting, I don't like the single fitting in the center of the hub, my old trailer had two fittings, one on the back side of the hub and the other was in the Bearing Buddie which I plan on getting, just as soon as I replace the hub with a rear fitting style.

I will have a trailer company weld new fenders on. I also want them to add a step between the end of the fenders and the back of the tail light and level with the top of the frame, should make for a nice step.

hazelscamp

What Manufacturer / brand name is on those new 14" tires?     I recently lost two of my tires on one 700 mile trip.  The second one only had 300 miles on the road.  I'm going to follow your lead and go to 14".   I was looking at Goodyear ST type 14" tires.

Norm Caudle

Glenn Basore

Hi Norm,

I forget off hand, I will check tonight when I get home and post Tuesday morning.

I do think they were a foreign brand, Japanese ? not sure.

I do know they were made for small light weight trucks like Toyota if that helps.

Also they are radial tires..8 ply 1875 lbs load rated each.

I had to drill four holes in the trailer frame (two for each fender) and four holes in the each new fenders to mount to the new fender brackets attach the bolts that come with the fender brackets and you done.

I'm very please with the results, well worth the money for new rims, tires and fenders.

big different in the towing, trailer with boat seems to roll very easily now and the tires don't compress like those 205 / 65 / 10 did !

I bought bolt on fenders from "champion trailer parts"http://www.championtrailers.com/FENDERS%20galvanized.htm

fender part number 0610 @ $23.95 each..... Fender mounting bracket (off set type) part no. 1546 at $14.95 (one set) you need two sets.

This was an easy fix to do and can be done over a week end. (I work slow :-(  )  I my bolt pattern was 5 lug on 41/2" centers (performance trailer)

I bought the galvanized rims when I order my tires from my tire store, I think I paid $350.00 total including mounted and balaced, for the three rims and tires.

I think you will be very happy too, by the way, I said It only raised the boat about 4 inches, I think it was only about two inches in height.

the hardest thing for me was to figure out were my dimension as to where to drill the holes, once I did that it was easy.

Glenn Basore

Norm, the tires have a brand name of "Capitol", Radial SV 820 "D" at 1875 lbs each tire at 60 psi.

They are made in Korea, I wasn't too pleased about that however most tires are being made else where and not in the states.

For the towing I do I think they are a lot better than what was on the trailer to began with. I expect the tires will rot out before the tread life fades a way.

I have some pictures of the new tires, fenders, fender brackets, but cant figure out had to post them here ?

hazelscamp

Glenn,

Thanks for the guidance on making the tire switch.    As for posting photo's I know nothing, but our fellow sailer "Ick" has pointed out that you have to put the photo onn the gallery first.   

Thanks again for the info, I'll look for the photos later.

norm

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

Thanks to Ick I was able to load some pictures to the "GALLERY".

I was not able to get them to load here.

Glenn Basore

New 14 inch wheel / 185 tire and new fender.

?????????

hazelscamp

I took a look at you photos on the gallery.   Look good,  thanks for the posting.

Norm

Glenn Basore

Norm,

is this a winter project. or something your going to be doing soon ?

It really was quite easy to do and I think the cost to do it was well worth it, piece of mind not having a blow out.

Glenn

hazelscamp

Glenn,  yes the tire switch will be done this winter.   I have already removed the fender brackets (bought a grinder & cutoff wheel) and replaced the tires with 14" size and 1875 pound load rating.  I hope to get the fenders back on soon but for now I'm too busy sailing.    This is the best time of year in Florida to sail, the winds are consistant and you don't die of heat exhaustion.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Norm Caudle (hazelscamp)

Glenn Basore

Hi Norm,

Sounds like your making progress, I like knowing I don't have to worry about the loads any more for the most part any way, I don't think i will ever come close to the 3600 lbs limit.

I have been repairing the hair line cracks this past weekend, I just need to do some fine sanding ,primer and paint. I also used Lemon Oil on the interior wood this weekend, it really helped the dry wood but I think Next time I will stay with the Teak oil which I did use on the step.

enjoy your sailing, if you have a chance, post one of sailing adventures, would like to read about it.

Glenn