a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast head sheave friction

Started by LConrad, September 03, 2007, 08:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LConrad

How do you keep the masthead sheaves working freely?  Raising the main has been a chore.  I have a CP-23 with Dwyer mast head.  I pulled the aluminum sheaves and found some corrosion.  Attempts to clean and lubricate only brought marginal results.  There seems to be lots of friction on the sides.  Has anybody retrofit with ball bearing or plastic sheaves?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Craig Weis

At the start of each season, as messy and a pain that it is I pop out the mast head from the top of the mast and pull the cotterpins on the sheaves to get down to the axles. Then put it all back to gether with a product I use a lot of called NEVERSEASE. Powdered aluminum and grease as I see it. AutoZone retail. Good for all season.
And for the sail cars in the slot I use that spray stuff from Harken, SailCoat...generally if it makes nose or 'barks' when move it get lubed. skip.

LConrad

Any other ideas?  Has anybody replaced with ball bearing sheaves?  I cleaned, lubed, etc and was good for a few weeks.  Now it is about all the winch can to to raise the main just as before.  We know that is not right. 

HideAway

I used an aerosol white litho grease a couple of years ago on mine and they still work fine.  Before then they would let out a loud screech and the main was difficult to raise.

When you raise the sail do you have your cunningham and  boom vang loose and running free?   I've noticed on our boat, hull #2, you have to keep the boom pretty horizontal or it will bind.  Our mast has a foot or so of metal bars for the goose neck to travel on.  If these bars are loose or missing screws the goose neck will bind.  Make sure you are using the right halyard and that they are not twisted at the mast head. 

I have plastic sail slides and other than replacing them due to age they have worked fine.

You are right you should not need a winch to raise the main on a 23.  If it's that difficult to raise then something is about to break.  Good luck  Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/