a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

When do you reef?

Started by bmiller, September 02, 2007, 07:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmiller

We have two reef points on the main and a roller furled 155% genoa. Have yet to need a reef in the main but have rolled up the genoa a couple times. Do you have a predertimened point were you put in any reefs? 15 knts, 20knts, 25knts? Or is it just when the comfort level reaches pucker factor?

Also, our boat seems to be powered mostly by the genoa. A stiff wind without any headsail and a full main produces little speed, but add a little headsail and away we go! Do others find their boats handle this way?

spaul

Hey BMiller,
You'll find experience will dictate when to reef. If you find you absolutely must reef then it's too late and will likely be difficult under rough and windy conditions. Take a read on the weather and the current winds, if  they seem strong and white caps are popping perhaps put in a first reef and reduce the head sail size. Keeping the boat more upright gives you better control and more speed anyway than trying to rearrange all the drawers and stowage by spilling it all over the cabin. I know first hand about that one.
It's true these boats are jib powered but you should read up on trimming your sails. The main should be formed properly and match the jib shape. Do you have a traveller for your main sheet? If it's a 27/2 you should have one with the boat. Learning to use this, the downhaul and shaping the main you should have a slot between your main and jib, this slot is important if on any upwind or close hauled tack.
Another point is how new or worn is your mainsail? A blown out or very worn sail will just not perform. A new sail, or if sound having it re-resined might be an inexpensive way to bring it back to life. Sailcare is a great place to have this done but do it early as they are becoming more popular evey day. They recondition, clean and re-resin sails for a very reasonable price.
I'm sure you have a topping lift, you must loosen this lift line in order for the sail to take it's normal shape. The sail must hang on it's own. If you wish there are many great books available on sail tuning etc. I highly recommend a book by Nigel Caulder, "Boatwoner's Mechanical and Electrical Handbook", it's loaded with practical engineering information as well as useful info on sailing the boat too. It's a must to have and wonderful reading during the upcoming winter period.
Keep us informed on your progress, we all learn by asking questions and there's no better way to learn than by teaching and helping. I'm hoping someone on the forum will step in and offer you better help in fewer words. :)
Good winds,
Steve

bmiller

Thanks Steve,
This is the first boat I've owned with a traveler, so yes we need to figure how and when to use it. From what I gather the sheet shapes the sail and the traveler changes the position of the sail relative to apparent wind? The biggest problem for us right now is where we sail. The wind is very fickle at 9,000 feet in Colorado. One minute it's 10knts on a close haul the seconds later 20 off the beam. Two days ago we had a little micro burst come through and actually had wind swirl around from all points in a matter of a couple minutes. So getting a decent constant wind to experiment with sail position is difficult. However when we do get it right we have seen 7+ on the GPS and fish finder, whoohoo.
We have a trip planned to Catalina this fall, that will be a great learning time.

spaul

You're welcome bmiller (I'm resisting the temptation to call you bm),
I know what you mean about fickle winds, we have them too. I say just keep at it and you'll do fine. Do you have a friend or aquaintance who has sailed for a while? Perhaps a ride along will give you some insights and a leg up. That happened for me and it only took minutes to filter out my bad habits and give me a leg up.
The 27 is a great boat, good headroom and comfortable. It's not a fast boat under light winds but will surprize you with good strong winds. Sorry about the spelling in "Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manua", I should run spell check but we're all in such a hurry.
Don't give up and keep learning.
Steve

spaul

bmiller,
Was going through some bookmarked sites and ran across this one.

http://www.sailingusa.info/points_of_sail.htm

Great site with lots of good info, good reading. Might be of some help to you.

steve