News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Performance trailer co. Out of Business ?

Started by Glenn Basore, August 23, 2007, 03:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

I was informed by Snug Harbor Yachts staff, Performance trailer went out of business.

Is any one else aware of this ?

I wanted to get a spare hub for the trailer of my Eclipse 21.........now what ?

pelican

Assuming you're around the same snug harbor down here in Pinellas county.. Performance trailer is out of business, but there are many places around the county that can get you any trailer part you might need.

There is a company on US19 2 mi south of the West Marine store in Pinellas park that stocks parts. There is another: Us19 to the 49th street exit ... just north of the overpass on 49th street on east side.  Another is located on north Hercules ave. in Clearwater at the corner of Range Rd.

Or you can check the yellow pages for a location nearest to you.  IMO, Hubs , etc:will not be to difficult to locate.

Regards

Glenn Basore

Thanks Pelican,

May be they just didn't want to deal with me !

The lady didn't seem to understand what I was talking about, I had to explain to her the tire mounts to the wheel and the wheel mounts to the hub, still didnt get it !

Tried a couple of web sites, no luck,

pelican

She is probably confused by your desire to carry an extra hub. I keep a spare set of bearings and race set in the car if I have a problem. If there is an internal problem , it's usually a bearing( IMO). You may have other good reasons for wanting a spare hub.

Most trailer parts are readily available in this area.

Regards

Glenn Basore

I just find it easy to have a complete hub all packed and ready to go, I use wax papper to keep the grease from getting all over and keep it in a cardboard box which I keep in my "trailer tote box" until needed.

I have to add more grease once on but at least the bearings themselves have been packed good.

Are you using marine grease ?

pelican

I use a marine rated grease available from West marine or Boaters world.
90% of the boating we do is in the Gulf of Mexico or Tampa bay. ( saltwater)
I try to repack the bearings at least twice a year. I have buddy bearings on the Hubs, but I still feel better knowing for sure the grease got to the rear bearing.
So far (knock on wood) I have never had a trailer bearing or hub break out on the road. I know it can happen, so I try to stay ahead with good maintenance.

My launch site has a water spigot so I keep a hose with me and I rinse the trailer ,hubs, springs etc right after launching and retrieving the boat. I put a small amount of grease on each lug nut and break the lug nuts loose occasionally to ensure they will come off easily if I have a real emergency.

It's a nightmare to have a flat tire and the lug nuts won't break loose. I spray the entire trailer down occasionally with WD 40. The salt  just eats trailer parts up if you are not proactive with your maintenance. Thats how I come to know about parts availability in this area. As hard as I try to keep rust off the trailers, I still end up replacing something. Enjoy your Boat !

Regards

Glenn Basore

Pelican,

You and I must have gone to the same school of preventive maintenance, I do the same thing with the exception of wd40 which I will try.

I wash the boat when it comes right out of the salt water just like you but when I get it home I use hot water and Simple Green to wash the boat again and trailer ect. when I sold it after 3 yrs, it looked like a brand new shinny penny !

Have you tuned or "fine tuned" your mast ? I was wondering what the shroud tension should be ?

I think there is a formula for the rake (forward or aft - cant remember which) of 1 % of the length of the mast ?, cant remember where I read this but do you have any suggestions for the mast ?

Craig Weis

Trailer hubs are standard stuff and sold all around the county. If I needed a hub for my trailer I would go to Fleet-Farm in Green Bay, Wisconsin or better yet the hub manufacture is denoted on the sticker a fixxed to the trailer showing the grease track when one refills the bearings from time to time. So look up the hub guys and order a hub/wheel/tire assembly. skip.

pelican

Quote from: Glenn Basore on August 27, 2007, 03:34:25 PM
Pelican,

You and I must have gone to the same school of preventive maintenance, I do the same thing with the exception of wd40 which I will try.

I wash the boat when it comes right out of the salt water just like you but when I get it home I use hot water and Simple Green to wash the boat again and trailer ect. when I sold it after 3 yrs, it looked like a brand new shinny penny !

Have you tuned or "fine tuned" your mast ? I was wondering what the shroud tension should be ?

I think there is a formula for the rake (forward or aft - cant remember which) of 1 % of the length of the mast ?, cant remember where I read this but do you have any suggestions for the mast ?

I know I should, but I haven't fine tuned the mast. I probably would be more critical of tuning if the mast was up to stay, but my boat is on a trailer and our launch sites are very crowded. I try to get everything up quick and get on my way. I try to get some forward rake on the mast and then I get the shrouds hand snug.

I don't compete with the boat or do any long distant sailing.. We just take the family or friends for short cruises around the area. As long as everything looks and feels right, I am on my way.

I am sure that some of the more serious sailors on this site could give you more detailed instruction on mast tuning.

Regards and good sailing.

Glenn Basore

Thanks Skip,

I will look Hub Guys up and order everthing.