a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

reefing

Started by cooter, August 22, 2007, 10:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooter

Hi Folks,  Cooter here, alright this is probably a lame question, however this is my first cat boat.  The owners manual isn't clear on reefing. Question , is the hook on the starboard side of the mast  supposed to pick up the first reef gromet at the sail luff? Or is the purpose of the hook to run a line through as in a standard jiffy reefing system? The aft end of the boom is set up as a standard jiffy reef sys. . I raised the sail at the dock to see how the reef worked and when I attached the first reef gromet to the hook I noticed that it wasn't east to do and would be even more difficult under heavy wind coditions.  I know that the answer would be to reef at the dock but that is not always possible. Thanks for putting up with the new kid.

tmorgan

I don't think it is a lame question.  I had the same thoughts.  I could not imagine attaching the gromet in the sail to the hook in heavy conditions.  I put a turning block on the boom and ran a line up one side of the sail through the gromet and down to the block and put a cleat on the boom I can reach from the cockpit.  But I still wonder if I would have enough control to get the sail reefed when I need it in heavy wind. 

I sailed on the Chesapeake in heavy conditions with the sail reefed before we went out and the Suncat handled like a dream.  But...can I reef it underway?

cooter

Thanks for the reply, TMorgan,  that seems like it will work. What You're saying is basically to rig it as the stern end is rigged, correct?    cooter

tmorgan

That is correct.  But I'm not convinced I could reef it in heavy wind.  We will see.

Craig Weis

Reef before leaving the dock. You can always shake out the reef later on the water for more 'over powering sailing' LOL. And with the jiffy reef system on m y C-P 19 I already have all reefing lines through and knotted into place on the sail. Ready to tie around the boom as necessary. So when I reef I just tie down the 'floppy' part of the sail at the end of the boom, right over the outhaul line. And with a gaff I can't see where that would be any differant. skip.

Craig Weis

I am kind of wondering...can a gaff rigged sloop be made to 'heave too' to give the skipper a comfortable break from the tiller for lunch or a potty break?
I like to 'heave too' in my c-p 19 just for fun when I'm out in the open waters. It's a neat maneuver. skip.

tmorgan

There are several articles on heaving to a catboat at this site http://www.go-embedded.com/Sailing%20manual.pdf .

Alex H.

Had the same issue. I added an extra line net to the downhaul on the port side , through a block at the mast stem, thorough the grommet and tied to an eye cleat on the mast. Did not feel comfortable trying to reef under what inevitably is less than ideal conditions by going up to the mast, hove to or not...