a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ida-Sailor Rudder?

Started by idouglas, July 22, 2007, 05:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idouglas

I have an Ida-Sailor rudder on my 1994 CP 16/XL/III.  On the performance side, the new rudder lives up to the reputation.  It is really one of the simplest and most useful upgrades one can do.  Well worth the money.

As you can see from the picture of my boat, the metal hardware on the Ida-Sailor is such that the rudder when in the up position is not completely out of the water.  Since I keep my boat on a mooring in salt water the inevitable growth occurs on the part that stays in the water. 

My question is:  has anyone ground down the aft edge of the hardware on the rudder so that the rudder comes further out of the water in the up position?  How much do you think grinding away the metal on the aft part of the rudder would compromise the rudder's integrity?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

idouglas

Craig Weis

I don't think that a modest grind to allow clearance for the rudder to come out of the water will hurt a thing. I'm in fresh water, but I wax the heck out of the wetter surfaces of the whole boat and the last two wax coats I don't rub off. No Growth. skip.

DOUG142

Just some info for the people out there that can not afford a Ida-sailor foiled rudder.  Duckworks on line magazine has an excellent article on building your own NACA foiled rudder.
Nothing against Ida-sailor, but I for one can not afford one.  They are great rudders though.

Want to make your own.???
Link:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/howto/naca/index.htm

doug
Summer Escape, CP16 1983, Number 1994
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Ralph Erickson

Good info, Doug.  The article is even more timely now. I'm not very good at building something as seemingly (to me) complicated as a foiled rudder.  So, I just ordered an Ida Sailor foiled rudder for my CP19 yesterday, and I paid $399.00!!!  The price just jumped 55% from 2 weeks ago!  I spoke to and e-mailed the folks at Ida Sailor, and they explained that for the past few years, they have been losing close to $200.00 on each rudder they sold, due to the increased cost of materials.  Seems they just discovered this after calculating year end numbers.  Furthermore, they have discontinued just selling the blade.  You now have to purchase the new kick up assembly (which for the CP19, now goes for $599.00, up from $479.00 a few days ago).  I was able to get just the blade, as they have a couple left.  There are no more CP16 or CP23 blades left, according to their website.  So, if you've been thinking of purchasing just the blade for your CP19, now is the time, it seems.  I sure am kicking myself in the pants for procrastinating and not purchasing one a month ago when the price was $275.00 or so!!! But the way I looked at it, I had several options:  1) just keep my original rudder, 2) build one of my own (and come out with something that would probably STOP the boat with my skills, 3) wait and save up for the $599.00 kick up assembly (wow - that's way too much for me!) or 4) act now and get one of the few remaining CP19 rudders.  I chose #4.  I know how well they work, because I had one on my CP16, and they really do make a tremendous difference.  I think I'll not regret my purchase once I'm out on the lake next spring.  And, now my wife doesn't have to shop for me for Christmas!

Ralph
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

curtisv

Speaking of grinding things on the Ida rudder --

I drilled out my pintle and gudgeon bushing (never could remember which one was which, but not matter).  I added a stainless steel sleeve and used new SS bolts.  I also added some washers as spacers - like a thrust washer.  I used what I had handy which was some rather large fender washers.  When I tried to raise the rudder it wouldn't go up.

Seems the upper front corner of the rudder hits the lower washer.  Now I have the choice of getting smaller washers, grinding the washer, or sawing off the front corner of the rudder (which doesn't really serve any purpose.  New washer seems like the best bet (least effor, works).

Had the Ida rudder for 4 or 5 seasons now.  Great modification to the boat.  It is certainly among the least expensive things to change that makes a really big difference.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access