News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Any one build thier own boom vang or traveler?

Started by Scott Statz, July 16, 2007, 07:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Statz

I'm not happy with my rigging/sail shape.  I think I want to build a boom vang and maybe a traveler.  Boom vang should be fairly easy, the traveler could be tricky?  Has any one ever done either (with good results)?

JF AIR

I havent done either but thinking of...specially a main sheet traveler...I see 3 different locations...
One could be just over the transom on the coaming although installing a reinforcing plate under the coaming is very awkward
Two would be in the cockpit althoug I am pretty reluctant to instal a beam wich would cut in the middle of the cockpit area
Three would be on the step just below the companionway...hopefully we will get some feedback from a CP23 owner who has already experienced it
JF AIR

ramble on

I have seen a Catalina 22 with an adjustable traveller mid-way up the 2 middle  vertical rails in the cockpit. It looked low enough to be strong enough for the job. You might think about a mid-boom system with the traveller mounted on the cabin. Small ones are around $150. You might could even make your own out of teak or some other hardwood.

Jeff

edbuchanan

I built a boom vang years ago using a Harken 053 fiddle block and a Harken 058 fiddle block with cam cleat and becket.  Two boom bails are needed: one to straddle the boom, the other to attach to the mast tabernacle using the pre-drilled holes provided by Com-Pac.  The 058 block attaches to the boom end of the vang.  A snap shackle at the bottom of the 053 fiddle block allows the vang to be used as a preventer; the boat has stamped "D" shackles on each lower aft shroud's chainplate.  A surprising amount of line must be purchased if the vang is to be used as a preventer.  The vang made a significant downwind improvement in the boat's performance.

Ernie (Molly, 1984 23/II)

Scott Statz

I like your boom vang idea.  What are the measurements for the boom bail on the boom?  Now that you have experience with your setup, Is the boom location where you would put it again?

I have been thinking of some kind of traveler incorporated into the aft stanchions.  I find myself sitting up on the rail in the corners and have always felt that I should modify them anyway (comfort and safety).  "On The Rocks" is hull number 59.  She has aluminum rails.  Do the newer models have SS?

I have seen some very interesting set-ups for preventer's.  Some are very low tech.  How often do you find yourself using the BV as a preventer.  Would something else be easier?

I have a bad habit of sailing up as close as I can until my clock says its time to go home then I try to get myself to a layline for a wing-on-wing  run back to my lift.  I don't usually do this with guests.  I really should set-up a preventer.

"On The Rocks"

edbuchanan

The vang/preventer seems to be in the right place after about a decade of sailing.  It is far enough forward to avoid skull contact as people enter the companionway, and far enough aft for easy access.  The exact mechanical placement does not seem terribly sensitive as Molly has a new mainsail which has lowered the boom somewhat.  My son and I just returned from two days on the boat, so I will have to get you the dimensioning next week (unless we disappear for a week!).

The stern rail, bow pulpit and stanchions are all stainless steel.  "Molly" is hull number 272.

The preventer feature is not frequently used (twice a year?), but it adds almost no weight and cost very little.  When it is used, it makes the boat feel safe, especially if you are distracted by guests, small children, submarines, sea monsters, etcetera.

Ernie (Molly, 1984 23/II)