a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

a sad tale

Started by kickingbug2, October 16, 2024, 07:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug2

Randy Sackman died this past weekend. The name wouldn't sound familiar unless you attended the last couple of carlyle lake rendezvous events. Randy was a hell of a guy. He built two airplanes and a Glen L 21' sailboat. He made his own sails and recently repaired my torn jib. He was constantly inventing things to improve his boat including a club footed self-tending jib (which worked great}. Last Sunday Rich Brown and I sailed with randy. The wind was good and we were treated to some downwind "spinnaker" sailing. ON Monday Sarah and i spent the day with randy. great wind ear to ear smiles all around. Randy lived almost two hours from Carlyle Lake and usually would come to Carlyle and spend a week or so on his boat. Monday i received a call from Randy's wife. She was very worried since he hadn't cakked for two days and asked if i could check on him. i hitched up my old fishing boat and headed out. when i got to the boatramp i could see Randy's boat anchored about a quarter mile away. I motored over went aboard and found Randy in the cabin dead. It appeared to be a massive heart attack. He died where he was most happy. Anyway if you knew Randy you could consider yourself richer. i knew i did. gonna miss you buddy:

rich My wife  Sarah, and i sailed with Randy last monday. A Great day as we made 4 to 5 knots all day. it was ear to ear smiles.

glem

Roland of Macatawa

Condolences upon the passing of your Friend
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

crazycarl

Very sad to read this. Although I only met him at this year's CLR, I immediately liked him. He was easy to talk to and he was very patient with his grandson.
I'll be sure to raise a mug of rum to him.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"