a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer brakes for an Eclipse?

Started by Fastdoc98, June 18, 2024, 11:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

Just wondering if anyone has trailer brakes on their Eclipse.  According to Illinois law any trailer over 3000 lbs is supposed to have brakes on one axle and I'm sure with battery, motor, fuel, and all the gear my rig is well over that.  I did replace the axle last season so it has the flange for mounting brakes and I'm considering installing electric brakes.  I had hydraulics (Kodiaks) on my power boats and it seemed like they weren't working more than they did work.  Needed bleeding, pistons stuck/frozen in or out, back-up solenoid failings.  Electrics are a much cheaper way of doing it and my truck has a built-in controller.  Any thoughts?

kickingbug2

i think you really dont need brakes for your trailer. a lot depends on the size of the brakes on your tow vehicle

crazycarl

Depends on where you live. If you frequently tow your boat over mountains it will help. I don't have brakes on my 19s trailer and I've towed her over the smokeys and Appalachians several times and never wished I had brakes.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Cpy23ecl

I have surge disc brakes on my eclipse trailer and really like them.  I ordered it that way along with 13" tires from the factory when I bought the eclipse.  I've had no problems with them in the 4 seasons I've owned the eclipse and don't feel the boat behind in regards to braking.  Michigan also requires trailer brakes on trailers over 3K and like you I assumed that with motor and loaded with gear the eclipse would exceed that.

I will also say that I had electric drum brakes on my travel trailer when I bought it and had to replace an axle after it somehow bent.  The mfr of the axles no longer made the 3k axles that were on my trailer and replaced them with 3.5k axles.  I upgraded to electric over hydraulic disc brakes and will never again own electric drum brakes.  Stopping distance was reduced by approx 40% and I've had no problems with the brakes unlike the electric drum brakes that were constantly not working well.

Fred

Fastdoc98

Fred, I'm curious as to what wasn't working well with the electrics.  I had so many issues with my hydraulics I'm wondering what else could go wrong.

Cpy23ecl

Worst problem was that the factory only connected the wires for one axle not both so only had half the braking and it took the dealer months to figure that out.  The other problem was that the brakes would fade noticeably when driving in even light rain.  In addition the brakes never felt all that strong at any time but no idea why.

I've had no issues with either the electric over hydraulic disc brakes on my travel trailer or the surge hydraulic disc brakes on eclipse trailer (knock on wood).

Fred