a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller Pilot

Started by dbybe, June 14, 2024, 07:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbybe

Anyone install a tiller pilot on a Sun Cat?  I have been trying to install a Raymarine ST1000. There are some very specific dimensions that have to be met.  This puts the fixed mount just outside the combing. Also a shim is required to get the tiller mount high enough. Both would require more parts orders but I am not sure it is worth it. This also puts the unit just forward of the main sheet cleat, making it difficult to use. (Stern sheeting on my 09). I am headed to the Salish 100 this year and running out of time for big projects. I am about ready to ship the whole mess back.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California
(Sun Cat avatar to follow)

OldSarge

I just had an opportunity to buy a new ST1000+, but as you mentioned the measurements are problematic. Did you ever install yours or try a different type? I use a tiller clutch, but it's not the best solution if you're single handing and have to move forward and tweak the sail.
Lucky Enough
Sun Cat 17 #541

dbybe

To get the socket in the coming the dimension from the pivot came in at 19" rather than 18".  I used the Raymarine bracket on the tiller but then added a block to get the tiller pin high enough to make the unit level.  I used it for a week on the Salish 100 motoring and it was really nice.  I was able to do other stuff, stand on the seat to watch for proposes and jelly fish, and just kick back and watch the scenery.  The power usage was not bad.  My 50 ah battery with a 50 watt solar panel kept up with this and all my other charging needs such as phone, kindle, vhf, etc.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California
(Sun Cat avatar to follow)