News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eyebrows.....I hate em. what have YOU done with them....

Started by brackish, May 11, 2024, 07:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Finally got the weather to put the long overdue maintenance coat on my teak.  Despite the neglect it held up fairly well with the exception of the eyebrows.  They are always the first wood that the finish gives up on and the most difficult to recoat.  Not too bad on the trailer with a ladder, but you have to be a contortionist to do them lying on the side deck.  So I'm pondering what to do about them.  At this point they really should be replaced. Are they just for looks or functional as a diverter of run off over the ports?  So new teak eyebrows to continue the torture,  eliminate them and have to deal with the hole patching and color matching, a polymer half round that requires no maintenance, or what.  So what have you done.

And the Compac price list has them at $103 plus shipping which may be high because of length.  Is that each or set? I have scrap teak lying around but nothing that long and not interested in scabbing them together.

crazycarl

Mine broke while removing them years ago. I bought a new set from Hutchins immediately and they have been sitting in the box since. The new ones are much beefier and don't bend as easy. Maybe this will be the year they get re-installed. I do like the look of them.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tim Gardner

I need to buy new eyebrows myself.
what did your cost to ship?
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

crazycarl

I paid $63 for the pair.  A steal.  That was 7 years ago?
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MHardy

I made a set for my 27 with Wes Newman's help. Not that difficult if you have access to a table saw and router table. We made them much beefier than the originals.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

Cruzin

I bought new ones a few years ago from Hutchins, they were expensive. They were a bit of a pain to install as I filled the old holes and redrilled new ones. I finished all teak with Cetol and it looks pretty good. I like the look of them and of course the beautiful Compac yacht! Good luck, hire some young helpers!
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

brackish

Quote from: MHardy on May 14, 2024, 05:14:54 PMI made a set for my 27 with Wes Newman's help. Not that difficult if you have access to a table saw and router table. We made them much beefier than the originals.

I have a fully equipped wood shop so that is not the issue.  The issue is finding teak that doesn't cost as much as gold.

brackish

I notice that Home Depot has Costa Rican teak that can be ordered for a reasonable price.  But max length is 7'and the eyebrows are 7'-4". I guess I could do a scarf joint.  How is it attached?  Screws in counterbores with a plug over? What screw size?

Cruzin

Yes they were counterbored with plugs. I can't recall the screw size.
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: brackish on May 15, 2024, 06:32:10 AMI have a fully equipped wood shop so that is not the issue.  The issue is finding teak that doesn't cost as much as gold.

Too bad you're not close to me (Mich).  I have a few hundred board feet of burmese teak that I'm not using.

Bob23

I have tried numerous different finishes on the eyebrows, nothing has lasted. A long while back I got the bright idea of replacing them only to find that not only screws were used, but 5200 or a similiar demonic adhesive. Needless to say, I only replaced one.

I'm toying with painting them. I've used Interlux Brightsides "Bristol Beige" paint in various exterior locations and not only is the color agreeable, it's held up quite well.
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on May 21, 2024, 05:45:49 AMToo bad you're not close to me (Mich).  I have a few hundred board feet of burmese teak that I'm not using.

Hope you have it under lock and key, Burmese, if not farm raised is worth it's weight in gold.

brackish

Found some African teak on a trip to the my wifes retina dr. in Memphis.  Had to buy more than i needed to get the length but still a bit of a bargain.  Have used African teak before does fine.  Will have a lot left over when I cut the eyebrows.  Last time I had too much of something that goes on a boat I built a boat.  PLease anyone close have a section of 2 x 4 handy to hit me upside the head should I even suggest such folly.......

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: brackish on July 26, 2024, 09:29:45 AMHope you have it under lock and key, Burmese, if not farm raised is worth it's weight in gold.

It is (both locked and not farm raised), the last time I looked s4s was going for as much 60 bdft.  Hard to believe.  Wish I had a real need for it but its just been sitting there for almost 30 years now.

TopsailB

One of the reasons I bought my CP-23 and will hang onto it is that the PO replaced all the exterior teak except the tiller and hand rails with poly. He had them made by Rich Hutchins at Com-Pac. I expect the parts might have been pricey, but in the long run well worth the cost considering maintenance. I've attached pdfs of the boat-hope they upload.
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18